Stock CJ rear springs, YJ rears on front? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Stock CJ rear springs, YJ rears on front?

RCV Axles at CCORPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-07-2009, 12:29 PM   #1
lockedcj7
1985 CJ7 

Stock CJ rear springs, YJ rears on front?

I've read that lots of people are using YJ springs for SOA and I'm planning on doing the same. I've also read lots of advice saying to use YJ rear springs on both the front and rear to help prevent sagging in the front. Here's my question:

I've got a full set of stock CJ springs and a set of stock YJ springs. Does anyone see a problem with running CJ rear springs in the rear and YJ rear springs in the front? The CJ springs seem to have a little more arch but I won't know if that makes a difference until there is some weight on them. (I know that I'll have to change the shackle hangers, shackles and spring plates to 2.5" and I was already planning for that.)

I never really had any complaint about the ride of my old stock CJ but I've heard that YJ springs have a different spring rate and ride better.

lockedcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2009, 02:40 PM   #2
jsc7002
1966 CJ5 

I dont know about the ride or anything but that is how mine is set-up, Im still building it though.
Unread 09-07-2009, 04:51 PM   #3
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I think stock-vs-stock, the YJ springs are flatter. They might not provide as much lift. I'm not positive on that though. If there was a difference, you could mix/match a few leaves to even it out though..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2009, 05:43 AM   #4
lockedcj7
1985 CJ7 

Okay, here's what I've decided to do and why...

I'm using CJ rear shackle hangers front and rear with the rivet-removed/one hole forward mod. on the front. I'm using YJ rear springs in the rear and YJ front springs in the front. I'm cutting the eyes off the main leaf in the CJ rear packs and adding those just under the main leaf in the YJ front packs. I'm doing this for three reasons.

#1. to fight spring-wrap on the front springs. I don't anticipate this being a big issue and I figure that the extra leaf will largely take care of it.

#2. I'm swapping in a V-8 and I'm planning on using a heavy winch (nothing beats an 8274!). Even though my 5.3L is actually lighter than a 258 or 304, it's heavier than the 2.5L that was in the YJ that the springs came from. The 8274 is just a beast.

#3. I'm anticipating some settling and sagging and I'm trying to get as much service as I can from the springs before I have to replace them.

I'm also planning on running a hard top some of the time and a full-sized spare all of the time so I may take the 2nd rear CJ leaves and incorporate them into my rear YJ packs.

To make it all work, I bought a set of Currie greasable shackles for the front and rear. Anyone who has used CJ shackle hangers and YJ springs will tell you that the bushings are different sizes. I bought CJ rear shackles and the hanger bushings are the right size but the spring bushings are too small. I bought YJ front shackles and the hanger bushings are too big but the spring bushings are correct.

Lucky for me, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that I can just swap the hanger bushings on the front for the spring bushings on the rear and everything will be the right size.

The question now is this: Have I just negated any flex or ride advantage of the YJ springs by adding leaves to the packs?
lockedcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.