Stock Carburetor on a 77 cj5 - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Stock Carburetor on a 77 cj5

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 09-18-2012, 01:50 AM   #31
Sammycj5
1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrnchDp View Post
you got a few options if you're going new. most here will tell you to get a weber or motorcraft carb as they are known to be better all around than the carters. I just swapped out my carter BBD to a Motorcraft 2150.
what's your budget for a replacement carb?

also, many here will also tell you that a rebuild kit isn't a bad thing, and mostly goes bad if it's not done properly.. but no need to tell your pops ; )
500 is to much so i guess round 400 and down maybe.

Sammycj5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2012, 07:35 AM   #32
FrnchDp

1986 CJ7 

I paid under 300 for my motorcraft. you can find webers for around that as well.

Here's the guy I got mine from (if you chose the Motorcraft) -> http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-MotorCra...0&cmd=ViewItem

Many members have also purchased from this guy. Many others have purchased the Weber 38, and they can provide you a link to where they got theirs if you want to look into that instead.

2000 WJ Limited - V8-287
FrnchDp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2012, 12:11 AM   #33
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

A remanufactured BBD will cost anywhere from 380 to 550 dollars. Napa being most expensive, but remanufactured by Holley.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2012, 02:44 AM   #34
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

A kit will run you about $30 and include all the gaskets, some of the little bits and fasteners and an instruction manual. They are quite easy to work on, a fine carb in its day fitted to many vehicles, and it is rewarding to take a piece of old junk and make it work.

Now that is not saying that a shiny piece of Gucci kit like a Weber is not good. It is a great manufacturer. I have a Weber 40 from a Ferrari Daytona gracing Puthijeep's manifold and it is F A B. However it is not $30.

Bagusjeep has a 1981 Carter BBD non controlled which has been stripped, cleaned, adjusted and reassembled with new genuine paper gaskets (cut out with my penknife from real paper). The total rebuild cost $5 but it took 3 tries to get it to run right with float levels, idle tubes and inlet valve all needing some study. It has been fine for the last 4 years.

If the BBD did NOT have worn throttle shaft bushings (give that throttle shaft a wiggle, any sideways movement is an air gap that will make idle difficult to adjust) you may find that the best bangs per buck sit with trying a rebuild. For $30 it will at least give you a spare carb.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2012, 03:25 AM   #35
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

And there are a few of us on here capable of replacing the bushings..........
image-2202828519.jpg   image-105372382.jpg  
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2012, 01:43 PM   #36
scooter71954
1978 CJ7 

don't forget to check the gasket surfaces for flatness. A warped body will allow vacuum leaks that will drive you crazy. I once purchased a 74 VW bus with twin carbs in 1984. I would run fantastic until it heated up. It drove me crazy! Then, on my fourth carb rebuild I used a Browne & Sharp rule (known for precision) and could see light under the rule due to carb body warpage. I used some float glass and grinding compound to flatten all the surfaces. Result? Perfect, never had another problem for the remaining 5 years I owned it.

Now, I always check those surfaces and fix any deviations when rebuilding a carb.

Tags
carb

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.