stock backspacing on my 86 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > stock backspacing on my 86

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-12-2010, 07:33 AM   #1
mmerlina
Image Glassworks, Inc.

1986 CJ7 

stock backspacing on my 86

Hey guys, what is the stock backspacing on a wheel on an 86 CJ7? I read a few pages on how to measure it and I just want to double check cause I've never done it before.

Also, I need to widen my stance and I'm getting new rims.. is 2" on each side too much to move it out?

Thanks!

1986 Jeep CJ7 (photos)
Remanufactured 258, ARB lockers front & rear, 4.10 Yukon gears, 35x12.5" Super Swamper SSR's, Motorcraft 2100, 4.5" Rubicon Express Extreme-Duty lift, York 210 OBA, Big Daddy steering, Tatton rear CV driveshaft, Herculined interior, TJ flares, lots of body & upholstery work
mmerlina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2010, 07:56 AM   #2
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

My CJ rims have the numbers stamped into the back side of them, maybe have a close look at the back side of the spare tire?

They did use different rims for different packages. My 86 chrome spoke laredo rims are 15x7, not sure of the backspace number, didn't need to remember it.

My rims fit perfect. My 33x9.5's fit perfectly even to my fender flares.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2010, 08:05 AM   #3
mmerlina
Image Glassworks, Inc.

1986 CJ7 

Hmm ok well I will tell you what I'm up to. I want to go up to 35s with 15" steel black rims. I also want to kick my wheels out a few inches on each side because with the 4.5" lift i'd like to widen my stance. So I had 2 questions.

What should my backspacing be in order to do that?

How wide of a rim should I be on for a 35" 12.5 15" tire?

And who might be a good company to call to get the rims from? I can't seem to find somewhere that has a rim to match my criteria.

1986 Jeep CJ7 (photos)
Remanufactured 258, ARB lockers front & rear, 4.10 Yukon gears, 35x12.5" Super Swamper SSR's, Motorcraft 2100, 4.5" Rubicon Express Extreme-Duty lift, York 210 OBA, Big Daddy steering, Tatton rear CV driveshaft, Herculined interior, TJ flares, lots of body & upholstery work
mmerlina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 09:20 PM   #4
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmerlina View Post
Hmm ok well I will tell you what I'm up to. I want to go up to 35s with 15" steel black rims. I also want to kick my wheels out a few inches on each side because with the 4.5" lift i'd like to widen my stance. So I had 2 questions.

What should my backspacing be in order to do that?

How wide of a rim should I be on for a 35" 12.5 15" tire?
8" rim. 10" rims are not required until you get up into a 14.5" wide tire. Using them on a 12.5" results in a weaker bead, exposes the bead to more debris and obstacles, causes odd wear, and IMO looks stupid.

Being that you have a WT, backspacing about 4". I wouldn't go lower than that.

<--- Click "Classifieds" under my avatar to see all my parts (mostly CJ & XJ) currently for sale on JeepForum!
PavementPounder is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.