Still having trouble - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Still having trouble

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 01-20-2008, 11:41 AM   #1
DannibusX
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Still having trouble

I've done a bit of work to my jeep this week but it's still running like crap at higher RPM. It kind of drops off, is this a timing issue? As far as I know it's supposed to be 8* BTDC. I plan on doing a nutter bypass in the coming weeks, and going with a DUI distributor, but I need it to run as well as it can until then as the jeep suddenly became my daily driver.

Thanks in advanced!

Dan

Coming soon: Exhaust, Wheels and Tires, Axle Gearing.
DannibusX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2008, 11:53 AM   #2
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

With the computer still in there aren't you supposed to be setting the timing at 1600 rpm? There should be a sticker under the hood about this. I run about 9*.

I think you unplug the vacuum switches and unhook the distributor vacuum and plug this, then set the timing at 1600 rpm if I remember right.

Other than that a dirty distributor cap or even a dirty air filter and especially a dirty fuel filter can cause top end loss.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2008, 12:33 PM   #3
HighCountry
1986 CJ7 

A bit of unasked for advice, the stock ignition is more reliable than the DUI stuff. Also, when (not if) it breaks you can get parts for the stock system at almost any backwoods hole in the wall parts place.

If you want to upgrade your ignition, which in my opinion is of little value you should do the 'Team Rush' version. Those parts are also readily available WHEN it breaks, plus you can change it back to stock with nothing more than a Phillips screwdriver in about 5 minutes.

Bruce
HighCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2008, 12:39 PM   #4
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighCountry
A bit of unasked for advice, the stock ignition is more reliable than the DUI stuff. Also, when (not if) it breaks you can get parts for the stock system at almost any backwoods hole in the wall parts place.

If you want to upgrade your ignition, which in my opinion is of little value you should do the 'Team Rush' version. Those parts are also readily available WHEN it breaks, plus you can change it back to stock with nothing more than a Phillips screwdriver in about 5 minutes.

Bruce
DUI will use stock Chevy parts. I've used a stock Chevy module in mine no problem. It just doesn't have the coil saturation time as the DUI which is how DUI boosts the voltage output.
80cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2008, 03:18 PM   #5
kavephish
1981 CJ5 

I have a 304 in mine and had the same issue. Idled/mid ranged fine, but stumbled badly at higher RPM. I have the MC2100 on it and turns out the float was too low. Bent up the float 1/4 inch and it ran fine after that. May want to check yours out.
kavephish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2008, 05:53 PM   #6
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

x2 Time at 1600 rpm. I went up 2 deg, then down 2deg at time a few times. Then when close tried at 1deg changes and settled on what was running the best. This helped me a lot.

x2 on the TEAMRUSH UPGRADE to Ignition or the FORD Ecoil change. HighCountry he did kinda ask... This is simple Adds add extra ground, Changed Cap w/brass terminals, rotar, new style plug wires and a used Ford Motorcraft Ecoil , $55 total and you got a great set up. A set up made for your engine.

I have been reading much this is good path!!!!! I am in the process now of this upgrade and have all the parts. I have read and been part of several threads and others in the past mo since dec 1. Look them up and print, there is about 5 of them excellent. Shows all the good points and bad points of the paths. I also strongly recommend you look at past threads.

JeepHammer showed us this article, VERY GOOD READ!!!
www.junkyardgenius.com/ignition/jeep/heicompair.html

Regards,
Fred
Fjguercio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2008, 06:17 PM   #7
CJ Chet
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80cj
DUI will use stock Chevy parts. I've used a stock Chevy module in mine no problem. It just doesn't have the coil saturation time as the DUI which is how DUI boosts the voltage output.
X2! DUI is a souped up HEI. I have one and I love it! You CAN use the OEM module it just won't have near the power output, but it's an emergency fix.

'86 CJ7, 265 CI, DUI, TF999, Borla, Weber, 4" BDS Lift.
'04 AEV RUBICON.
'00 TJ Sahara.
CJ Chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2008, 04:54 AM   #8
HighCountry
1986 CJ7 

Fjguercio, I consider the 'team rush' upgrade to be 'stock' also due to fact that it uses commonly available stock parts! In my opinion, that is the way to go!

I have been around HEI since the begining and just don't care for them. That cumbersome cap/coil combo, plus the fact that if you don't carry a spare Rotor you will eventually have to walk home. I have come across countless '...it just died!" GM drivers whom had a bad rotor allowing the coil to fire THROUGH it directly to ground instead of firing the plugs. If you are around GM products after the late 80's you see that even THEY switched back to a separate coil.

In my world, Reliability/Simplicity is the NUMBER ONE consideration followed by Ease of Repair/Availability of parts as NUMBER TWO.

Bruce
HighCountry is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.