Still having problems... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Still having problems...

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 02-09-2007, 12:15 PM   #1
ToxicGreenJeep
This, is my BOOMSTICK!

1980 CJ7 

Still having problems...

I did a flush on my radiator the other day with prestone radiator flush and replaced the thermostat. Some of you probably remember my other post.
Anyway, after that the jeep started leaking like hell, which appeared to be coming from the water pump.
So I replaced the water pump, hoses, belts. today I put in new antifreeze, started it up and it's still leaking as much as it was before. WTF, I give up. I think that I'm just going to have it towed to the local garage to have it fixed.

ToxicGreenJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2007, 12:27 PM   #2
KrazyGimp
1982 CJ5 

Is it still leaking from the lower hose? Or is it actually coming from where the water pump mounts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK
...that's why you push in that little nipple (hehe.. I said nipple on the internet :D )
KrazyGimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2007, 12:52 PM   #3
Mr.Crowley
1980 CJ7 

is there anyway you can take a pic of the leak?
"offroad it, and wave then you might understand"[/QUOTE]
BLS Home Chapter... Where it all Started
:hahaha: yj

My low Buck Rock Crawler project Project..Stop by and check it out..[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=497896"][B][COLOR="DarkOrange"]The lizzard Queen[/COLOR][/B][/URL]
Mr.Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2007, 12:52 PM   #4
Bard
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyGimp
Is it still leaking from the lower hose? Or is it actually coming from where the water pump mounts?
You need to pinpoint the leak. Does it leak right away or after it gets warmed up?
Sounds like a bad gasket or even bad waterpump
85' CJ7 Laredo, 383 GM, Turbo 350, NP 203. SOA, 2" frame lift, 34" TSL swampers, Dana 30 open, AMC 20 w/ detroit locker, 4:10's, 1 Piece Mosers, 35" boggers to abuse when needed.
Bard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2007, 01:03 PM   #5
Fuzz21
1985 CJ7 

If it's from the lower hose connected to the radiator then you may have the hose pushed on way to far. the hose clamp may also be on to far towards the radiator. I had the same problem and I was tightening the hose clamp over the oval part of the fitting and not the round part. try pulling you hose back a bit and make sure the clamp is just about at the end of the fitting and try that.
1985 CJ-7, 258 w/a weber carb and HEI, 2.5"lift w/32" tires, 1/2"shackle lift, Dana 300, T-5, AMC 20 w/one piece axels, and Dana 30, YJ tub swap w/CJ tailgate, chevy blower motor upgrade, homeade body sliders, flush mount LED taillights......much more to come!!vaamedic152@comcast.net

"And on the eigth day, Man created BEER!"
Fuzz21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2007, 10:50 PM   #6
ToxicGreenJeep
This, is my BOOMSTICK!

1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyGimp
It's coming from the water pump mounts, it also looks like some was coming from the new thermostat housing that I had put on. Damn thing was made in China and it wasn' tthe exact thickness in the upper mounting bolt. I had to put like almost ten washers on it so that I could tighten it.

The only thing that I can think that I did wrong was that on the directions for the water pump, it recommended using That tacky sealant with the gasket. I didn't use that, but it was leaking the same exact way it was before with the old pump.
Unread 02-10-2007, 11:59 PM   #7
twink
1984 CJ7 

check to make sure that the thermostat didn't slip out of the recess in the head it sits in. When this happens you tighten the housing down on the edge of the thermostat itself and it causes a leak. Also some engines water pump mounting bolt holes go into the water jacket and you have to put silicone sealant on the threads when you install them. Tighten to torque specs 10 to 15 ft/lbs.

twink
twink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2007, 09:49 AM   #8
ToxicGreenJeep
This, is my BOOMSTICK!

1980 CJ7 

I got pissed off yesterday because I've been working in this freezing cold weather for the last few days and refused to do it anymore . I called the local garage and had it towed down there.
I'm so ashamed of myself for having to resort to that , but if it were warm out I would have done it myself.
Unread 02-11-2007, 10:40 AM   #9
John N
1981 CJ8 

I have friends in Berlin...I understand. I wouldn't work outside in that weather. I wouldn't even do it in my weather, that's usually warmer.
John N is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2007, 11:41 AM   #10
ToxicGreenJeep
This, is my BOOMSTICK!

1980 CJ7 

It's not as bad when you are working in the garage because the wind factor is eliminated. The only problem is that even if it warms up outside a little my garage tends to hold in the coldness.
The other day I was pulling off the radiator hose from underneath and had a bunch of antifreeze pour out and drench my left side. I continued to work on the Jeep that way. I guess it's a good thing that stuff doesn't freeze up.

By the way, what is your friend's from Berlin last name's. If I don't know them. I'm willing to bet my brother in law might. Berlin is not a huge town.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.