Stereo gurus: Need your input... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Stereo gurus: Need your input...

Spartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-19-2013, 12:36 PM   #1
Manhattan

1981 CJ8 

Stereo gurus: Need your input...

I'm looking for a simple, decent system for the CJ. The plan is a hidden amp, a bluetooth receiver and a couple dash speakers. No headunit - the iPhone will be the source.

I'd love some input on the following...

Alpine SPS-510 5.25" 2-way Speakers
- 5-1/4"
- RMS Power: 110 watts per pair / 55 watts each | PEAK Power: 340 watts per pair / 170 watts each
- Frequency Response: 80Hz - 22kHz
- Impedance: 4-ohms
- Diameter cutout: 4-1/2" (circle)
- $58

Alpine MRV-F300 4-channel car amplifier - 50 watts RMS x 4
- 75W RMS X 4 (2Ω, 14.4V, ≤1% THD+N)
- 50W RMS X 4 (4Ω, 14.4V, ≤1% THD+N)
- $140

I (think) I want a 4-channel to allow me to easily add two more speakers in the back, at a later date.

For the money ($200+ installation stuff, e.g. spacers, wiring, etc.), do you see anything wrong with the above? Should I look at any other brands - that have a better bang-for-the-buck? Kicker? Kenwood?

Thanks!

Unread 09-19-2013, 12:56 PM   #2
YumaOutdoorsman
1986 CJ7 

I just had those exact speakers installed with the alpine ute-32 deck it's just you AM/FM, auxiliary input, and thumb drive stereo. No amp but I was surprised at how good it sounds and I drove it the other day with no doors just bikini top sounds good to me!
YumaOutdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 01:13 PM   #3
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

You can never go wrong with /////ALPINE
Unread 09-19-2013, 01:17 PM   #4
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROJECT 23 View Post
You can never go wrong with /////ALPINE
Hey you're supposed to be taking time off from CJF.
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 02:37 PM   #5
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerhoundvm View Post
Hey you're supposed to be taking time off from CJF.
I pop in on occassion, but don't hang out like I use to. Moderation is key to keeping my sanity. I scan the forum once or twice every few days.
Gotta make sure the P23 haters aren't flapping their lips behind my back
Anyways, Alpine has always produced top notch equipment. I've used it since I had my first vehicle (1983 Chevy S10 with a 4" lowering kit and a few switches for the hydro bed, Iroc Z seats, etc)
Unread 09-19-2013, 02:59 PM   #6
swatson454
Web Wheeler

1983 CJ7 

The only other thing I might entertain is "marine" speakers so they'll hold up better to the elements.

Shawn
Unread 09-19-2013, 06:51 PM   #7
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Don't get caught up on frequency response here. Mounting those (or any) speakers in the dash is going to prevent them from making any audible mid-bass sound.

As far as wattage, the numbers are fine. Many of those specs are all a numbers game anyhow, no different than when K&N says you can get 5% more horsepower by using their air filters. What they fail to tell you is that the 5% gain is only at the peak RPM or horsepower rating of the engine. Who drives their engine that hard most of the time anyhow?

Don't worry about the distortion (THD) in this case. The peak power in watts is useless. The peak rating in watts is typically the level at which the distortion reaches 10% which is kind of laughable.

It's a Jeep CJ and a lousy environment for quality audio, and you're playing compressed/streaming music anyhow, so the fidelity is already less than ideal. As long as you stick with decent name brands, you'll be OK. You're not trying to put together a stereo that competes with a $5000 indoor system.

Do make sure that the mounting (screw) holes in the speakers are the right spacing for the CJ dash panel. I don't know any of those numbers offhand.

I mounted my amp to the bottom of the passenger side seat to make it stealth. My build thread has the details.

As far as other brands, I think all of the mass market brands compete pretty well by offering similar features for similar prices. You can always find something cheaper or more expensive, so you just have to get a brand you're comfortable with at a price that fits. The one exception here is if you happen to stumble on something that's super discounted and on sale. Maybe you could save $50 compared to a similar brand with similar specs. I've seen some great deals on woot.com but have never specifically looked there for car audio gear. Crutchfield is a good source for information and research for audio equipment.

A few general tips:
  • Make sure your power and speaker polarity are all correct.
  • Run all the grounds to the same place to avoid electrical noise (in your case, with only just an amp, this may not be workable. If you do get electrical noise when getting audio from the iphone, try running the power source for that to the same ground as the amp)
  • If you run a positive power wire from the amp to the battery, be sure to put a fuse on the wire near the battery.
  • Don't leave a mess of wires for the next owner. Do a neat and clean installation job, even if takes a few hours longer.
Unread 09-20-2013, 05:49 AM   #8
Manhattan

1981 CJ8 

Guys, thanks! This was a huge help. And Ken, thanks for the detailed, pragmatic advice!
Unread 09-20-2013, 06:14 AM   #9
wvrefugee
1979 CJ7 

Along these same lines....I hope, I'm desperately looking for an 8-track player for my CJ. Any thoughts of where to get an after market set up??? I have a John Denver 8 track just dying to be played during a ride her in WV!!!! HELP!!
Unread 09-20-2013, 07:24 AM   #10
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvrefugee View Post
Along these same lines....I hope, I'm desperately looking for an 8-track player for my CJ. Any thoughts of where to get an after market set up??? I have a John Denver 8 track just dying to be played during a ride her in WV!!!! HELP!!
[threadjack on] OEM 8 tracks show up once or twice a month on eBay, which you may have known, but don't expect them to be cheap.

Aftermarket 8 track players? Sheesh - you may have to check eastern European or Asian flea markets for such things. Get the digital version of the song, welcome to the 21st century

Seriously - I had to search high and low for an aftermarket cassette player I liked. I have a whole box of tapes that hadn't been listened to since high school, sometimes the simple things make you happy

[/threadjack off]
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.