Steps to improve Fuel economy - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Steps to improve Fuel economy

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Artec JK Under Armor BellypanEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 11-05-2002, 10:17 AM   #1
TimR

Steps to improve Fuel economy

Hello,

I am new to this boards and to jeeps as well. I just purchased a 84 cj7. I love it so far. I want to know how I can improve my gas mileage. This jeep is basically stock except most of the emissions control goodies have been bypassed. From what I have read so far on this forum the two major enhancments come from a new carb, like the weber K551. And a high out put ignition system.
Anything else? I sure there have to be some more tricks to get more performance out of the 258 engne. My tire size is only 30 in. I am currently getting about 11- 14 mpg mostly city driving.
I am fine with the amount of power the egine has and just want to make it a bit more economical since this is now my daily driver.
I have starving college student syndrome so cash is definetly an issue in any upgrade I persue.

Thanks,

Tim R.
Miami, Fl

TimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2002, 10:26 AM   #2
johny1i

Hey Tim, I'm in Miami also, but expect to be heading out within a week or so (construction project down here over the past few months winding down). Regarding your question, I have the same 258 and with the Carter carb and no emissions, the best I could squeeze was about 12-13 mpg around town, and 15 on the highway. Upgrading to the weber got me around 15 in the city and 18 on the highway, although with the freeway traffic down here it suffers! You'll appreciate the power of the weber, especially when you floor it and the secondary kicks in. Check this site www.weber-carburetors.com/after.htm for some deals on the K551 if you're interested.

Otherwise, not much you can do. I run my tires at 30 psi to minimize resistance, but that's all I can think of.
Currently an '86 CJ-7 and a '77 CJ-7 Golden Eagle---#4 and 5 following a '01 Sahara, '90 Sahara, and '85 CJ-7....
johny1i is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2002, 01:42 PM   #3
CJeep
Alpha dog

1982 CJ8 

Aside from really firm tires, an open-element air filter and low backpressure exhust are two ways to go. But a full tune up is often over looked. Make sure everything (in the engine) is working like it should be, and little stuff like PCV valves, 02 sensor, and your cat are all clean and free of obstructions.

That being said, for city driving, don't expect too much more (with the stock set up)

Good luck and welcome to the "hands on" world of owning a CJ

2004 Grand Limited 4.7 HO - OH Boy!

2010 Grand Laredo 5.7 Hemi - SICK - work vehicle -gone - replaced by an 08 Tahoe - nice ride.

"Both my Doberman and my Jeep can accurately be described as 'black and rust.'"

"I got a fever . . . and the only prescription is more cowbell"
CJeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.