steers TOO EASY, dangerous! help - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > steers TOO EASY, dangerous! help

Black Friday SALE! Up to 20% off at Diode Dynamics!Bds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 07-15-2013, 08:51 AM   #31
GTNMUDY
1984 CJ7 

After looking at those pictures I felt the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

I would park it and fix it before I put another mile on it.

That is a wreck waiting to happen.

Not good

Larry

GTNMUDY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2013, 09:19 AM   #32
83vert
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTNMUDY
After looking at those pictures I felt the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

Not good

Larry
Amen
Unread 07-15-2013, 11:30 AM   #33
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Do everyone else a favor on the road. Park that thing and lose the keys before someone gets killed.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2013, 11:47 AM   #34
json1123
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuner-9R View Post
You ask for help as to why the steering is crazy, someone responds with an issue and you say, 'how come?' You have a clue?

Eeeeeeeasy now. He didn't question a solution. FiremanJim told him the blocks were a no no and he simply asked why. Nothing wrong with that.
json1123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2013, 02:05 PM   #35
weehce
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemanjim7
First off. Those blocks under the springs on a steering axle are a big NO!NO!

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Second, third and fourth that! Never run blocks on the front steering axle. Death trap inop!
Unread 07-15-2013, 09:09 PM   #36
firemanjim7
1983 CJ7 

Sorry I didn't answer back I'm relaxing at the beach but I see a lot of others answered the question for me.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
firemanjim7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2013, 11:05 PM   #37
TexasJeepyall
CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuner-9R View Post
You ask for help as to why the steering is crazy, someone responds with an issue and you say, 'how come?' You have a clue?
dude if you're gonna be an ******* gtfo my thread
TexasJeepyall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2013, 11:08 PM   #38
TexasJeepyall
CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
You don't have a stable steering platform. The entire Jeep is sitting on basically 2X4 blocks. You don't need that kind of lift for 35s, and it's dangerous. You know that quick-steering you have? That is a big contributor to it. You can keep it SOA and still fit 35s without the blocks, and have a much safer, controllable Jeep, along with a couple other important mods. With the configuration you have now, Widow-Maker fits! That was cool in the '70s and early '80s, but it never was a sensible thing to do. Not that your dad isn't sensible... well, he rides bulls. Nuff said...
that was a very good explanation and i appreciated it but please keep my dad out of it he; bought it how it is, he never drove it because of the steering issue. like i said, its been sitting in a warehouse and we're hoping to fix it
Unread 07-15-2013, 11:18 PM   #39
TexasJeepyall
CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82JeepCJ7 View Post
Lift blocks on a front axle are illegal in all 50 states.

Pull the front axle, cut off the spring perches. Put the axle back under the Jeep and temporarily bolt the U-bolts in. Set your caster angle to 7, tack the perches. Pull the axle, weld them out.

Then drive to a river and throw them lift blocks as far as you can into the water.
this was really helpful- much appreciated!!
Unread 07-15-2013, 11:24 PM   #40
TexasJeepyall
CJ5 

don't worry guys, that jeep hasnt gone passed my dads ranch lines in mexico. its only ran about 20 miles up and down dirt roads since he bought it.... other than that its been sitting in a warehouse feeding the rats. like i said, it hasnt ran much in loooong time because of the steering thing. so now i see that the previous owners just kind of threw some blocks on the front axle and called it a lift kit; so the solution to my problem is to remove those nasty blocks, correct? what do yall think about maybe adding a new (real) lift kit, adjusting caster and camber and all that good stuff, and putting some 33s? or is that pushing it too much? i dont wanna die at 18 guys.
Unread 07-15-2013, 11:46 PM   #41
TexasJeepyall
CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTNMUDY View Post

Not good

Larry
doesnt sound too good, larry
Unread 07-16-2013, 05:51 AM   #42
Jeeprage
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasJeepyall View Post
don't worry guys, that jeep hasnt gone passed my dads ranch lines in mexico. its only ran about 20 miles up and down dirt roads since he bought it.... other than that its been sitting in a warehouse feeding the rats. like i said, it hasnt ran much in loooong time because of the steering thing. so now i see that the previous owners just kind of threw some blocks on the front axle and called it a lift kit; so the solution to my problem is to remove those nasty blocks, correct? what do yall think about maybe adding a new (real) lift kit, adjusting caster and camber and all that good stuff, and putting some 33s? or is that pushing it too much? i dont wanna die at 18 guys.
If it is a spring over already with 35s, you should be able to remove the blocks, install new U bolts, and keep driving. That should be plenty of clearance for those tires. The big assumption is that whomever did the initial spring over job did a good job and kept angles and locations accurate when they moved the spring mounts.

I think 35s are too big (as is a spring over) for my own tastes, and if you only want 33s, I'd go back to a stock mount and run 3-4" lift. That will end up being more work since you'll need to cut off the spring mounts and reweld them in stock position, or find another set of stock axles.
Unread 07-16-2013, 06:20 PM   #43
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasJeepyall View Post
that was a very good explanation and i appreciated it but please keep my dad out of it he; bought it how it is, he never drove it because of the steering issue. like i said, its been sitting in a warehouse and we're hoping to fix it
No disrespect intended, Tex. I was making a joke about bullriding, and it wasn't very good! Close to my own background. I was of the asumption your dad had modded the Jeep. Glad to read he bought it that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeprage View Post
If it is a spring over already with 35s, you should be able to remove the blocks, install new U bolts, and keep driving. That should be plenty of clearance for those tires. The big assumption is that whomever did the initial spring over job did a good job and kept angles and locations accurate when they moved the spring mounts.

I think 35s are too big (as is a spring over) for my own tastes, and if you only want 33s, I'd go back to a stock mount and run 3-4" lift. That will end up being more work since you'll need to cut off the spring mounts and reweld them in stock position, or find another set of stock axles.
Rage is giving you some good advice. Although I like 35s as well as 33s. I have a CJ sitting on each. It's a personal choice, but I like spring-under-axle (SUA). There are many different brands of spring lifts to choose, from inexpensive to "empty-your-wallet"! Keep in mind, you get what you pay for. Again, personal taste, I like a 2.5" lift with 1" body lift. With a 2.5" spring lift you have nothing else to change. No steering geometry issues, for example. The additional 1" body lift gives you a ton of clearance for 33s, and pretty fair clearance for 35s. 4" lifts are very popular, and they look good with 33s or 35s. The issues associated with them are easily overcome, and there is a lot of support here to learn about them. If you pull those blocks out and stay with spring-over-axle (SOA), then you SHOULD address your steering components. You will still have steering issues. Again, the resources are here to support the modifications you would need to do. Also, with SOA, you will need to address the axle-wrap that is inherrent with this kind of lift. All do-able stuff. Let your wallet be your guide. Decide how you are going to use the Jeep, and go from there.

Glad to have you, Tex.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2013, 06:47 PM   #44
GTNMUDY
1984 CJ7 

"After looking at those pictures I felt the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

Not good

Larry

doesnt sound too good, larry"

I was concerned for your safety, getting thrown out of a jeep is not my idea of wheeling.

Back in the 90's I saw a ford pickup with 44's on the truck. He lifted his with what looked like 12" of blocks in the front and back.

I also witness him trying to go around a tight turn on the trail. Once the tires hit the ruts they were going around the corner but his truck body kept going straight and folded the front axle up under his transmission. It took us 3 hrs to get him pulled off the trail.

His truck was really tore up.

Dont want to hurt a CJ that way. I run 33's with a 2.5" lift provided by a add a leaf on the 4 springs. As stated in another post, this is really all you need and it dosent really effect the castor on the front end, but you may need to add a shim on the back end to try to get the driveshaft, pinion angle as close to straight as possible. This will save you from replacing rear U joint every 5,000 miles.

Get it fixed and have fun with it.

Larry
GTNMUDY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2013, 07:30 PM   #45
Tigerjeep79

1979 CJ7 

If that were my Jeep I'd just take out the blocks and bolt it back together with new U-bolts. That will definitely improve the steering issue. Then if it's still a little spooky, I'd take it to an alignment shop. It's not expensive (all they can really do is toe-in), but you'd have the report that would show the caster angle. If under 6 degrees positive you can get some steel shims - I have 2 degree shims on my CJ7 - and bolt them to the spring pack using new bolts.

When all that is worked out, you can start spending REAL money on that 5. Fun stuff!
Tigerjeep79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
danger , power steering , power steering box , steering

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.