Steering woes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Steering woes

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 09-19-2006, 07:16 PM   #1
wildchildc1

Steering woes

[IMG][/IMG]I just purchased a 80 CJ which has had the axles placed under the leaf springs for alot of its lift.. It has new springs with neopreme bushings, ranco shocks, aftermarket drive shafts with the CV joints, the pinion angles were changed and look real good.. I thought was done pretty nicely for a cheap lift job... But driving the Jeep home from the seller the steering play got worse and worse.. I pulled it into my garage and had my wife turn the steeering wheel back and forth and to my surprise I found a homemade extension that goes from the passenger spindle up to the what I would call the drag link which runs from the pass side spindle to the steering box. the extension is about 10 inches has the top end threaded for the steering heim joint bolt and the other end has a chamferred hole with a bolt in cone shaped joint end like would be on a tie rod end or ball joint so it pulls into the chamferred hole. This things is not even safe and I think I know that they did it so the the draglink/steering arm would be pretty level from the steering box to the spindle to prevent bumpsteer. Ive tried to look at alot of pictures of lifted Jeeps and lift kits and I dont see this thing Ive got on any of the kits and I see the the steering links are fairly level on most of the lifted trucks.. Can someone please help me figure out what I need to purchase to make this thing steer correctly and make it safe to drive again??? Thank you!!!!! Wildchildc1 - Washington, IL.

Last edited by wildchildc1; 09-19-2006 at 08:14 PM..
wildchildc1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2006, 07:19 PM   #2
Joe-n-TX

Can you post some pics?

Joe
Unread 09-19-2006, 07:25 PM   #3
wildchildc1

I will go down right now and take the pics and post them in about 5 minutes... Thank you for the help!! Shawn
Unread 09-19-2006, 07:45 PM   #4
1979CJ7
1979 CJ7 

this just sounds bad... i really wanna see this hack job
1979CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2006, 07:47 PM   #5
No_Bs
1977 CJ5 

I'm actually sitting here refreshing in anticipation of seeing this.
No_Bs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2006, 07:56 PM   #6
wildchildc1

I am unable to post pictures for some reason or another.. Can someone give a Newbie Jeep owner some advise?? ThankS, Shawn
Unread 09-19-2006, 08:01 PM   #7
No_Bs
1977 CJ5 

To post pictures you'll need to upload them to an outside site, and then post the links in here. As for your problem, there may be an easy anwser, there may not. Pictures will help anyone here be able to diagnose it and point you in the right direction.
Unread 09-19-2006, 08:03 PM   #8
1979CJ7
1979 CJ7 

photobucket.com
Unread 09-19-2006, 08:15 PM   #9
wildchildc1

Here are the pics of what I found on the 1980 CJ I bought this evening.. Can someone please tell me how to correct this mess????? Thank you, Shawn

Unread 09-19-2006, 08:22 PM   #10
No_Bs
1977 CJ5 

No more clicking.
Unread 09-19-2006, 08:23 PM   #11
1979CJ7
1979 CJ7 

wow that thing is disturbing.... it scares me that someone would do that to their steering stytem...
Unread 09-19-2006, 08:27 PM   #12
Blue83CJ7
1980 CJ7 

Correct Way

What is the correct way to set up the linkage in a SOA?
Blue83CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2006, 08:27 PM   #13
No_Bs
1977 CJ5 

Anyway, that is actually less hacked up than I was expecting, interesting none the less. By the way, is that a manual steering box I see? It's a shame they hacked up that nice drag link as well. It looks to me like some custom fab work is going to have to be done. I've seen bent drag links in this situation, and they are not really the "right" thing to do but are the easiest, and definatly safer than that. Someone who knows more will turn up soon.
Unread 09-19-2006, 08:37 PM   #14
wildchildc1

Not Pretty

Yes this is a manual steering box.. The guy did alot of things right on this thing, then turned around and did this!!! This thing flexes like crazy when I got it tightened up, But it wont stay tigh because the chamferred hole is too large for the stud and its just a mess!!! I thought about removing the drag link and having someone put some nice mandrel bends in it to clear the suspension.. I think that would be much, much safer.. Any other supestions???? Thank you!! Shawn
Unread 09-19-2006, 09:46 PM   #15
John N
1981 CJ8 

Call Parts Mike, he can set you up right. He know's his steering stuff. You need a high steer knuckle/arm set-up on the passenger side to hook your drag link to. You could go heims or tie rod ends.
John N is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.