Steering wheel issues....????? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Steering wheel issues....?????

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 05-02-2010, 11:10 AM   #1
breakthru
1985 CJ7 

Steering wheel issues....?????

Okay, I can put both hands at 9 and 3 and push the steering wheel abou a 1/4 inch and it feels like it's spring loaded and comes back up once I remove the pressure... any idea what could be wrong? There is a small gap in my plastic on the column right behind the wheel now as well... not sure what happened or what needs fixing? Any advice is helpful. Thank you.

C

1985 CJ-7 258ci with a T5 tranny, Dana 300 t-case with Tera Low 4:1, 4" sagging Suspension lift, Warn floating axles, all around disc brakes, DUI Distributor, stainless brake lines, flexalite dual electric fan, weber carb, and 33 AT. Future mods include going to 35's under a Rubicon Express lift with full body replacement, interior restore and train horn... with time, money, and weather permitting.
breakthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2010, 11:41 AM   #2
Mike78cj7
1978 CJ7 

I had alot of play in my column I can't remember if it moved in and out but it moved up and down. I had to replace my lower steering column bearing and it tightened everything up. Here's where I bought it. Original Replacement Parts 4486713 - Lower Steering Column Bearing for 76-95 Jeep® CJ-5, CJ-7, CJ-8 Scrambler & Wrangler YJ - Quadratec
Mike78cj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2010, 09:11 PM   #3
breakthru
1985 CJ7 

Thanks... I'll check that.
1985 CJ-7 258ci with a T5 tranny, Dana 300 t-case with Tera Low 4:1, 4" sagging Suspension lift, Warn floating axles, all around disc brakes, DUI Distributor, stainless brake lines, flexalite dual electric fan, weber carb, and 33 AT. Future mods include going to 35's under a Rubicon Express lift with full body replacement, interior restore and train horn... with time, money, and weather permitting.
Unread 05-03-2010, 08:49 AM   #4
scrapman
1984 CJ7 

Mike,
My bearing is out also, was it pretty easy to replace? Did you have to pull the steering column to replace?
Thanks
scrapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2010, 06:26 PM   #5
breakthru
1985 CJ7 

I'm not sure... I'm still wondering if my spring loaded feeling is definitely a bearing gone bad??? Any help Jeepers?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.