Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Steering wandering -- my solution..

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  twoleos617 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I've had a few previous posts on here about my CJ zig zagging down the road especially after a sharp turn. I went through a lot of stuff.. and I'm not regretting it because everything I did pretty much needed to be done anyways.. however..

.. my problem ended up being the ujoints in the front axle shafts. My driver's side ujoint was almost frozen solid to the point where for me to get the c-clips out I had to bang shaft on the bench to get enough of an angle.

My theory is that after a sharp turn, the steering box had the torque to angle the shafts, but on the return when straightening back out.. I'm guessing that the rust was holding the shafts from going back to straight, and sending me all over the place.

Anyhow, I just thought I'd share. I'm sure I'm not the only one who was driving around with old ujoints. :wave: (.. and yes I did spend the extra money on the spicers)

#3 ·
Yep- just went through that on my f350. An easy check for this is to jack up the front end, lock the hub, and spin the wheel by hand. If your joints are frozen, you will be amazed at how it kicks the front end around. If they are bad it can also eat up your hubs.----good post, it should be added to the sticky, "why your front end seems loose".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.