Steering upgrade in the works! advice needed - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Steering upgrade in the works! advice needed

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-26-2014, 01:12 PM   #1
weapon
1983 CJ7 

Steering upgrade in the works! advice needed

Decided to upgrade the steering. I have a new intermediate shaft and just picked up an H1 box to replace my original.

I already have a M.O.R.E. Steering Box Mounting Bracket installed.

What tools will I need to remove the pitman arm? Any other surprises that I might encounter on this journey? Any advice is welcome.

weapon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2014, 01:18 PM   #2
CSP

A pitman arm puller will be needed.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record weapon, there are lots of threads on the pitfalls of removing pitman arms and methods to get by them.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2014, 02:43 PM   #3
weapon
1983 CJ7 

Sorry I should have stated that better. I knew that I needed a puller after I posted it (plan on hitting up HF after work).

Was not only looking for specifics on the puller. What I am more interested in is any surprises I can expect. For Ex. Getting the shaft to release from the box, any issues with the H1 box and the bracket, clearance issues with the frame.

I will probably pull the steering column so I can rebuild that also.
weapon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2014, 03:29 PM   #4
Jeepcj30
1966 CJ5 

Penetrating oil and heat. Lots of heat. I had a rebuilt box to replace mine so wasn't worried when I cooked the seals out of the old one
Jeepcj30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2014, 03:38 PM   #5
CSP

Heat is fine if you don't plan on re-using the box, which is the case here.

It's bad for seals though if it's a pitman arm swap.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2014, 10:30 PM   #6
dg6772
1986 CJ7 

Replacing the parts. ...cut midshaft in half......all done.....saving for someone else.....as said oil,2-3 days prior, heat....

Dave in Muskegon using JeepForum
dg6772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2014, 05:25 AM   #7
grasmo
1982 CJ5 

this works very well if you wanted to save anything:

https://www.kimballmidwest.com/Catal...6.628.358.2638

most of the time I haven't needed it. get the puller fixed and put as much pressure as you can, put some cardboard on the floor under the arm, put a little heat, and watch it shoot off like a bullet. don't be under it when you touch it with the heat. it will kill you.
grasmo is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.