Steering System - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Steering System

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-23-2010, 10:15 AM   #1
Trice
1978 CJ5 

Steering System

I have a question... More of a poll with details about your response is what I am after.

I have a 78 CJ5 I am working on it and I am looking for the best route to tighten up the steering. It is the factory equipment.

Do I go with simply replacing the joints in the factory equipment?

Do I replace steering with Rack and Pinion, if so what type?

Do I go all the way and put a power steering system in, if so what type?

Note: This will eventually be on the trail not heavily but used, and it will be driven to the trail not trailered.

Trice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 10:30 AM   #2
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

If your plans include larger tires, then yes, upgrade to power steering. It's never a bad idea to replace the tie rod ends and drag link ends. One of the biggest improvements to steering is replacing the stock steering shaft that goes from the steering column to the gear box with a quality after market unit (I used Borgensen). A new steering stabilizer helps keep feedback to a minimum.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 10:49 AM   #3
Trice
1978 CJ5 

I know that some of the loose steering can be in the gear box, have you found that to be true?
Unread 07-23-2010, 12:26 PM   #4
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

The preload adjustment on the top of the box can tighten it up. You use an allen wrench and another wrench to break the jamb nut loose and then you can tighten up the preload with the allen wrench. I've never done it, maybe someone who has can chime in.
Unread 07-23-2010, 12:32 PM   #5
Trice
1978 CJ5 

I am going to look at it this weekend but when you tighten it up too much you will toast the gear box. I don't know how to not go too far
Unread 07-23-2010, 12:35 PM   #6
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Google is your friend.

Im sure there are detailed notes on how to do it somewhere.
Unread 07-23-2010, 12:36 PM   #7
CSP

Power steering is a good idea regardless.

There's no substitute for a physical inspection of the steering components, balljoints, and wheel bearings though. Any guess on your poll is simply a guess. Theres no need to throw random parts at a problem hoping they will make it go away, so inspect and determine what's bad first.

Rack and pinion IS a type of steering and generally not compatible with a solid axle vehicle. Google it if you really don't have an understanding of what rack and pinion is.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 12:40 PM   #8
Trice
1978 CJ5 

I have a friend who builds race cars and he is going to fab up the system when I figure out what I want. He made the recommendation of the rack and pinion because of the durability and that normally they come with 4 to 1 ration to help turn the wheels.
He knows my jeep and steering. I trust that much. He just did not know which system would be best for trailing.
Unread 07-23-2010, 01:18 PM   #9
CSP

Stock CJ power steering is 16:1 ratio, so quite a bit less effort than any 4:1 rack and pinion setup.

Thousands of vehicles have the same/similar Saginaw steering box found on a CJ. There's no question of its durability. Rack and pinion really isn't compatible with the type of suspension and axle arrangement on a CJ.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 01:59 PM   #10
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

If rack and pinon worked in Jeeps, it would be in Jeeps.
Unread 07-23-2010, 03:05 PM   #11
Trice
1978 CJ5 

That is true

Tags
manual steering , power steering , rack and pinion , steering , steering box , steering linkage , steering ratio , steering shaft

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.