Steering Stabilizer Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Steering Stabilizer Help

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 03-17-2010, 12:15 PM   #1
Funkyguru
1986 CJ7 

Steering Stabilizer Help

Ok Im a newbie so cut me a little slack if I screw up. I have a 1986 Cj7 and I am attempting to upgrade the stock stabilizer with a Rancho stabilizer. I ordered my Rancho from JC whitney and when I tried to install it I found its the wrong one. I called whitney and they confirmed the part number is correct. So now Im thinking that somebody before me may ahave miodified the front end of my rig. The one thats currently on my jeep has a round mounting hole on one end and the shaft on the other. The one that I recieved has bassically a shaft on both ends. Can any body give me an idea of what I have and what I need to get this thing right?

Funkyguru is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2010, 12:21 PM   #2
LT1CJ7
1983 CJ7 

The steering stabilizer your trying to replace sounds like the original one.
All the aftermarket ones use different brackets.
Did you get any gold iridited brackets with the new stabilizer ?
Or did you just buy a replacement or a replacement kit ?
LT1CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2010, 12:39 PM   #3
LT1CJ7
1983 CJ7 

This is what you should have bought.
Rancho RS97345 - Rancho RS5000 Steering Stabilizers - Overview - SummitRacing.com

You probably bought just the replacement stabilizer.
Rancho RS5402 - Rancho RS5000 Steering Stabilizers - Overview - SummitRacing.com
LT1CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2010, 02:06 PM   #4
BootheelBoy
1986 CJ7 

I had the exact same problem with my 1986 cj7. Go to NAPA and have them look up Delco #4975423 or Delco# 940105. Can't remember which number it was but it is one of those. It isn't a Rancho shock it's the Delco stock version. Part stores kept telling me mine wasn't the right one for that make and model vehicle. All I know is that was the one I needed and Napa had it. I wasted a whole day looking for that thing.
BootheelBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2010, 02:51 PM   #5
CJ Chet
1986 CJ7 

The part you want has a stud on one end, and a bolt mount on other. The stud mounts to the tie rod and the bolt mount goes into the spring mount.

'86 CJ7, 265 CI, DUI, TF999, Borla, Weber, 4" BDS Lift.
'04 AEV RUBICON.
'00 TJ Sahara.
CJ Chet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2010, 02:58 PM   #6
Fatman
2008 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkyguru View Post
The one thats currently on my jeep has a round mounting hole on one end and the shaft on the other. The one that I recieved has bassically a shaft on both ends. Can any body give me an idea of what I have and what I need to get this thing right?
Send what you got back, they sent you the wrong part.

Here's what you need, (second item) brand new, for much less:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f126/parts-989063/
Unread 03-17-2010, 03:00 PM   #7
nichboy
1985 CJ7 

What is the purpose of the steering stabilizer and how do you tell if it is bad?
I have a Rancho on my 85 and can't tell if it is working properely.

thanks
nichboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2010, 03:41 PM   #8
Funkyguru
1986 CJ7 

Yep I just got the replacement. Thanks to all who responded. I will just hang on to this and order a whole kit. It never hurts to have spares.
Unread 03-17-2010, 07:41 PM   #9
BootheelBoy
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichboy View Post
What is the purpose of the steering stabilizer and how do you tell if it is bad?
I have a Rancho on my 85 and can't tell if it is working properely.

thanks
I don't know the proper procedure to test it. But this should work take it off and see how much force it takes to pull the rod out and how much to push it back in. It should be very stiff and take quite a bit of effort to get it to move. It shouldn't move in or out unless you make it move. What it does is keep bumps in the road from jerking the wheel suddenly causing your jeep to move all over the road. I damaged mine so I took it off, I thought I could drive without it WRONG. I couldn't keep the darn thing on the road.
BootheelBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2010, 06:48 AM   #10
nichboy
1985 CJ7 

Thanks for the explanation, i'll pull mine off and test it.
nichboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2010, 11:03 AM   #11
Full Tank
1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkyguru View Post
Yep I just got the replacement. Thanks to all who responded. I will just hang on to this and order a whole kit. It never hurts to have spares.
After reading your post I realized I'm in the same boat with a replacement
PN 5402 stabilizer I haven't installed yet. Talked to Rancho and the hardware kit is PN RS5508. $35 for $2 worth of hardware.

Steering Stabilizer Bracket by Rancho - RS5508: Ultimate Auto Accessories

FT

1986 CJ7
Dana 30--AMC20--D300--T5--2.5L
Full Tank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2010, 11:15 AM   #12
Funkyguru
1986 CJ7 

Thats kinda steep for a few u bolts and a few galvinized brackets
Unread 04-26-2010, 12:37 PM   #13
Funkyguru
1986 CJ7 

JUst an FYI

I installed the Rancho stabilizer with the supplied brackets. Went and did some wheeling a few days later. While I was climbing up a pretty decent sized hill I lost my grip and started rolling down the hill. On the way down I turned the wheel slightly to stay in the center of the path and I heard a loud Ping noise. Got up the hill on the next attempt and then decided to scout out the noise. Didnt take long to find as my tie rod was almost bent into a 45 degree angle. Upon closer inspection It was evident that the large U bolt that held the stabilizer to the axel had slid and caused the tie rod to bind and then bend. I used an impact wrench on that sucker and I know it was tight!!!!. I replaced the tie rod and the stabilizer with the spare I had. This time I tripled the U bolts on the axel by adding two more, one to the front of the original and one to the back. Ive been out a few times since then and havent noticed any problems or slipage. Just thought I would let you know.....maybe save somebody a tie rod and a stabilizer.

Tags
stabilizer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.