Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Steering stabilizer

807 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Fropleyqk 
#1 ·
When I bought my CJ, it had a dual steering stabilizer setup. I just replaced the tie rod, and didn't have room for the dual stabilizers. I have a single in the garage, I just haven't had time to put it on yet. I ran 65-70 MPH on a rough interstate without it, and didn't notice any difference. Can anyone tell me exactly what it's for? I've heard every answer from "it's a cover-up for a steering problem" to "you can't drive without it".

#2 ·
If your jeep drives fine without it leave it off. You really don't need it. the purpose of it is to absorb vibrations from the road that would likely end up in you steering and would be felt in the steering wheel. Therefore, if you don't have a vibration in the steering wheel, you don't really need it. There are some vehicles that never have these from the factory, crawl under an 80's model full size bronco. Those things are big and it seems that if anything would have one, it would.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.