steering stabilizer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > steering stabilizer

Up to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer PurchaseFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 05-08-2006, 11:52 AM   #1
tacodruff

steering stabilizer

am i supposed to mount the shock half compressed or completely decompressed. im talking about the steering shock that sits just in front of the front differential

tacodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2006, 12:28 PM   #2
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

With everything sitting straight, about half compressed. Think about it and it'll make perfect sense.
jeepskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2006, 12:31 PM   #3
tacodruff

if its half compressed, would that push my steering to one side? but if its decompressed id only get damper one way. i dont know...but thanks for the reply
tacodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2006, 02:54 PM   #4
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

A shock isn't strong enough to push your steering to the side, especially one valved for use as a steering stabilizer. If you mount it compressed, you'll only be able to steering in one direction...think about it...
Unread 05-08-2006, 06:17 PM   #5
CJ Fanatic

You want to make sure to use a damper(shock) intended for a steering stabilizer. It has no tendency to push or pull in either direction. A shock absorber is usually charged with some sort of gas, usually nitrogen, and will push to full extension. A steering stabilizer will be neutral at any given position within the stroke. So, as mentioned by jeepskate, mount it half way in it's travel, half compressed.

1977 CJ5, '75 258, Motorcraft 2150 carb, HEI dizzy, BDS 2.5" suspension, 3/4" Daystar Rock Krusher Greasable shackles, M.O.R.E. steering brace, Flaming River steering shaft, Tie rod flip, Yukon AMC20 axle kit, 1.5" Trail Sport wheel spacers, 15x10" Black Cragar soft 8s w/ 33" Yokohama Geolander MTs, Goodridge SS brake lines, Classic Tube stainless hard lines, YJ power brake with front disc upgrade (had 4 wheel drums)
CJ Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2006, 08:06 PM   #6
fyr196
2008 JK Wrangler 

I have a 1980 CJ7. I just had the all steering components replaced from the steering box to the knuckles. (Due to a bad SOA lift from the PO) I get some scary bump steer at high speeds, about 50 mph and up. Would a steering stabilizer help? I have 33" tires with a 2" lift. Does anyone know of a good stabilizer to go with, if it is worth it?

Thanks
fyr196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2006, 09:28 PM   #7
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

Steering stabilizer isn't a cure for bad steering...you need to make sure everything else with your front end is right...shackles, shackle bushings, caster, ball joints, axle u-joints, steering box mount...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.