Steering shaft bearing replacement. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Steering shaft bearing replacement.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 06-04-2013, 12:30 AM   #16
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDown
Thank You. I have been trying to get that clip out, it's really a pain in the *** laying on the ground under the Jeep doesn't make it easy to get any leverage. Do you think there's a special tool ? I've been having no luck using just a screwdriver. I can't get under the clip enough to pry it out.
I wouldn't even attempt it on the jeep. Getting the new parts back together for the new coupler is tricky enough as is when it's laying on a bench.
You definitely want to remove the shaft from the jeep first.

A pair of needle nose pliers work good for removing the clip. It is not a complete circle, but the ends do overlap each other. Grab an end, and you can pull it right out.

Sent from my iPod touch using JeepForum

Unread 11-22-2014, 03:41 PM   #17
DAC516
1983 CJ7 

I'm trying to replace my lower steering bearing. The bearing doesn't seem to seat fully in the plastic race. I'm afraid to try to force it. The bearing and race are from Crown. Is the bearing supposed to be loose in the race? Do I just need to apply more force?
DAC516 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2014, 05:41 PM   #18
jetmech1
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAC516
I'm trying to replace my lower steering bearing. The bearing doesn't seem to seat fully in the plastic race. I'm afraid to try to force it. The bearing and race are from Crown. Is the bearing supposed to be loose in the race? Do I just need to apply more force?
It'll pop in with a little force. I used a little bearing grease on mine too.
jetmech1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2014, 06:40 PM   #19
DAC516
1983 CJ7 

I must have applied too much force as the plastic race split.
DAC516 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2014, 08:16 AM   #20
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAC516 View Post
I must have applied too much force as the plastic race split.
The race is part of the bearing assembly on mine. The plastic part is just the bearing retainer that holds it all in place. No forcing needed that I remember.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.