Steering shaft bearing replacement. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Steering shaft bearing replacement.

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Steering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 12-31-2012, 02:23 PM   #1
agear
1984 CJ7 

Steering shaft bearing replacement.

My cj just failed inspection because they said the lower bearing on the steering shaft needs to be replaced. He said it's the bearing on the steering shaft down by the steering box ( but not the steering box).
I see they quadratec sells the steering shaft and a coupling kit seperately but don't know if the steering coupling kit has a bearing with it.
Is there really a bearing there and do they sell just the bearing or ........ ?

1984 jeep cj7, 258 I6, rebuilt T176,rebuilt Dana 300, amc 20 , dana 30, 4.10's Trac-lok in rear , 4.10's detroit soft locker in dana 30, 2.5 inch bds suspension lift, 1 inch polyurethan body mount lift. Line ex. weber carburetor. factory tach. factory clock ,oem replacement speedomter cluster, and oil pressure gauge, factory volt gauge.
agear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2012, 04:12 PM   #2
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

It's not really a bearing. It has a bell shaped coupler with notches in it that goes onto the steering box. The piece on the shaft has a cross pin with two square bearings(?) that fit into the notches, and a clip that puts pressure outward on the square bearings. A rubber boot seals it up.

They sell the bell coupler, square bearings and boot, or entire kit.#3,4,or 5 in the Quadratec pictures. The whole setup like I replaced was $35 or so.

Chances are if the boot is torn, he just noticed that. But if I were taking it apart, I'd just do the whole thing and be done with it. The ones from Quadratec are Crown, and the separate parts such as the rubber boot,can also be found on Fleabay.

I've also been looking into changing mine out for a universal joint end. Something like this. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/brg-013464/overview/
Unread 12-31-2012, 05:18 PM   #3
agear
1984 CJ7 

I just decided to order a new steering shaft from quadratec because he did say specifically -the bearing. I ordered the heavy duty quadratec one and if it the representative is correct for this item then it has a u-joint down by the steering box. Hopefully this will do it.
1984 jeep cj7, 258 I6, rebuilt T176,rebuilt Dana 300, amc 20 , dana 30, 4.10's Trac-lok in rear , 4.10's detroit soft locker in dana 30, 2.5 inch bds suspension lift, 1 inch polyurethan body mount lift. Line ex. weber carburetor. factory tach. factory clock ,oem replacement speedomter cluster, and oil pressure gauge, factory volt gauge.
agear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2012, 05:24 PM   #4
roboto65

1976 CJ5 

What he may have meant was this and it is a bearing. http://www.quadratec.com/products/56113_56.htm
Unread 12-31-2012, 05:28 PM   #5
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

With the U-joint end, you should feel a definite improvement. It should eliminate the "clunky" feel as you turn the wheel that the old style of joint has.
Unread 12-31-2012, 05:35 PM   #6
VooDoo2
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboto65 View Post
What he may have meant was this and it is a bearing. http://www.quadratec.com/products/56113_56.htm
This fits at the end of the steering column under the brake booster not the steering shaft.
VooDoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2012, 06:17 PM   #7
roboto65

1976 CJ5 

Yeah got that know where it is I have to replace mine as it is Shot the OP said
Quote:
they said the lower bearing on the steering shaft
and the steering column shaft has bearings upper and lower. Its all good hope that fixes it the steering shaft that is.
Unread 05-19-2013, 10:36 PM   #8
sanctified
2013 JK Wrangler 

Gonna bring this thread back from the dead as its kinda close to what I need.

My '83 CJ7 has a non tilt wheel, after wheeling it yesterday there is outward play in the steering. I can pull the steering wheel towards me. I believe it is the lower steering shaft bearing which is right below the brake booster that has gone bad. A guy I was with said the race looked to have seperated. I think I found the right part, package #5 here on quadratech which I think was also linked to above minus the boot.

Do you have to remove the steering wheel and all the column internals to replace this bearing or can you pull the shaft thats connected to the steering box and go from the bottom up?

Other than a little slop will I do damage if I don't fix this right away? I have my plate full with a couple other things at the moment and would like to put it off for a week or two if I need to disassemble the column. Thanks.
Utah Jeep Crew #178
sanctified is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2013, 11:57 PM   #9
melancholy35
1985 CJ7 

For the lower bearing disconnect the steering shaft ( pain if you have original, soak with pb for a day) then you can use a puller to remove the lower bearing . Its an easy replacement except if its rusted.
There is another bearing in the column which you have to remove the wheel and turn signal assembly to get to.
THE LOWER BEARING IS #6
You wont do damage you will just have play.
melancholy35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 05:58 PM   #10
M20Keeper
1982 CJ7 

I was just looking mine over and I think the lower steering column bearing has popped out of the retainer. I can move the shaft up and down at the top where it connects to the Column, not in and out just wiggles around freely and the bearing seems to be floating below the retainer. Can you disconnect the shaft where it connects to the column or do you have to remove it from the steering gear box first? If I have to do that its Gearbox removal time and that just blows.
M20Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 06:17 PM   #11
melancholy35
1985 CJ7 

I think if its the stock shaft you have to remove the bottom where it connects to the gear box then the top. Instead of going through the hassel, I removed both and replaced with a borgenson shaft and agr gear. If you plan on running larger then stock tires, I'd put a h.d gearbox mount on and either upgrade your gear or replace it with a hummer gear. If you search the forum you will find the info for that upgrade.
melancholy35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 06:41 PM   #12
sanctified
2013 JK Wrangler 

I replaced my steering box a month ago with a stock replacement. I don't see any need at the moment to upgrade my steering shaft. I am running 32's as it is and still haven't decided what I want to get out of this rig other than a DD. I am very happy with my steering other than this bearing that went loose. I am still chasing down the fix this or that before I am really comfortable using it as a DD. I ordered the kit this morning from Morris and am crossing my fingers that it gets here before the weekend so I have plenty of time to work on it although I doubt it will.
Utah Jeep Crew #178
sanctified is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 03:42 PM   #13
DoubleDown
1983 CJ7 

During my H1 steering box upgrade I noticed the (bell shaped) coupler at the bottom of my steering shaft ( the part the new gearbox needs to go into ) is messed up. I got a new one from Quadratec, but I can't figure out how to get the old one off. Any hints would be greatly appreciated.
Thanx.
DoubleDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 05:10 PM   #14
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDown View Post
During my H1 steering box upgrade I noticed the (bell shaped) coupler at the bottom of my steering shaft ( the part the new gearbox needs to go into ) is messed up. I got a new one from Quadratec, but I can't figure out how to get the old one off. Any hints would be greatly appreciated.
Thanx.
There is a wire clip at the large end of the coupler, right at the large end of the rubber boot. Pop the clip out, and it will separate.
The clip holds the boot in place, and the boot holds it together.
Unread 06-03-2013, 10:50 PM   #15
DoubleDown
1983 CJ7 

Thank You. I have been trying to get that clip out, it's really a pain in the *** laying on the ground under the Jeep doesn't make it easy to get any leverage. Do you think there's a special tool ? I've been having no luck using just a screwdriver. I can't get under the clip enough to pry it out.
DoubleDown is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.