Steering question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Steering question

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....

Unread 06-10-2002, 06:01 PM   #1
benny6

Steering question

I have a 61 M38A1 with a Dana 30 front end and a GM Saginaw steering box (no power steering) I want to rebuild the steering system. Do all early model jeeps have the same steering rods and rod ends? What suggestions do you all have. My steering is really sloppy right now.
Thanks, benny6.

benny6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2002, 10:39 PM   #2
Hippo393

Welcome aboard, benny6. Either you or a pvs. owner must have really spent some $$ in beefing up that '61 to have a Dana 30 and Saginaw steering. Sounds like you've got a gem of a Jeep! Photos?
Saginaw steering was introduced on the CJ5 in '72, so that eliminates pre-72 linkage. Different links, joints, etc. I don't believe that any linkage is interchangable with the B.S. ("Before Saginaw") Ross steering. It's a good thing, though, because you're more likely to find parts for your getup. Let us know if you need resources!
-alan
Hippo393 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2002, 01:22 AM   #3
benny6

The jeep was my dads. His body doesn't allow him to do the things he used to. The jeep has been sitting for about 10 years. I convinced him to let me bring it back from the dead. The steering box is is bolted to a 1/2" steel plate that has been welded to the frame. It has an early 70's 350 with a 327 intake manifold, 327 heads, ram head exhaust, glass packs and a Rochester Quadra-jet off of a 425 Cadillac engine. I's got some floor board rust, but the multi-colored body is in good shape and needs a little rattle can action. I have a little problem with the suspension though. It still has stock leafs with a 2" shackle lift in the front. I have grind marks on the top of the front axle from the bottom of the crank pulley!!!! The axle is still on the top of the leafs. I recently put in a Ron Davis racing radiator, but still need to find a good set of low-profile dual fans. My biggest concerns right now is the tranny and steering. Once it's road worthy, I'll use it every day.
Have a good one! benny6.
benny6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2002, 10:12 AM   #4
Doug76CJ5

Hey Benny! I would suggest getting rid of the 2" shackle lift and at most use 1/2" shackle lift as these come in heavy duty. The 2"ers will make the driving very unstable the jeep will tend to dip and dive so to speak, I think I would replace those prior to doing anything else and see if it helps.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.