steering question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > steering question

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 12-03-2002, 04:08 PM   #1
2cjs

steering question

Can i use a 92' steering gear box on my 83 cj?

2cjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2002, 02:15 AM   #2
Jeepzilla

Of course, you can't interchange manual and power. Look them over carefully, holding them side-by-side and closely compare them. They are prolly interchangeable. These kind of parts typically are used for many years in a row because they do not need to be re-engineered very often. Go to a Jeep parts dept and ask the man to ID the part numbers. If they match, they are identical. Only thing that may change this is that in 83 it was an AMC part and in 92 it was Chrysler.

93 YJ project. 4.0L, stick
MJ-7 re-body, Banks header, 2.5 " pipe, low resistence cat, Flowmaster. K&N filter thru a snorkel.

Last edited by Jeepzilla; 12-07-2002 at 02:18 AM..
Jeepzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2002, 06:42 AM   #3
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I think they're both Saginaw boxes aren't they? Power steering boxes use a different pitman arm than manual boxes so you'd need to pick up a power steering tie rod end. I believe the input shaft splines may be different also but I'm not positive. I think the manuals use a 3/4"x30 spline and the powers use a 3/4"x36 spline (I could be wrong on this it's been awhile since I messed with my steering stuff). Other than that the only other thing to make sure of, is that the power steering box and pump both should use O-ring fittings (which can be changed on the pump, or custom hoses can be made). If you're just swapping power steering box for power steering box, they will probably just swap right over. Good luck.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2002, 11:49 AM   #4
CSP

Quote:
Originally posted by BESRK
If you're just swapping power steering box for power steering box, they will probably just swap right over. Good luck.
Exactly! They both will use the same sized input shaft and use the same hose fittings.

Jeepzilla it's not as complicated as you might think. Saginaw supplied the steering boxed and the basic design makes them very interchangable.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.