steering problem please help - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > steering problem please help

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right here

Unread 06-14-2013, 01:57 PM   #16
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by way2fastmike View Post
Yes its new to me.
I hate it when this happens. Somebody gets excited about the idea of owning a Jeep and buys one only to discover he just inherited someone else's mistakes. Jeeps are engineered. There's all kinds of geometry figured into the suspension. You can't just change things to make it "cool". This isn't checkers, it's closer to chess; you have to think three or four moves down the board. If you don't you can hurt someone.

It might take some $$$ to straighten this out. Be patient and don't give up. Don't be surprised if you have to "undo" some things. And don't be afraid to ask questions.

Jeeps are worth it.

Unread 06-14-2013, 04:14 PM   #17
aggiejon
1979 CJ7 

Spring over w 31's. sounds like a PO who didn't want to let go of his tires so he threw those on.
aggiejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 03:52 PM   #18
way2fastmike
1973 CJ5 

it is amazing what a set of new shocks will do for your steering, I removed my old ones and the had none- zero- rebound in them either way. installed the new ones, got in and was ready to take for a test. prayed that I would not die. and off I went. wow wow wow what a difference , took darn near all the wabble or play out. I can drive it now and not feel like im about to wreck.....still need to change the steering stabilizer and maybe add a sway bar but much better.there maybe a 1/4 inch play in the wheel I can deal with that for now but will try to improve it.
way2fastmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 06:28 PM   #19
way2fastmike
1973 CJ5 

ok here are some pic from photobucket. I hope...lol..http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1371767109 http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1371767537
Unread 06-20-2013, 06:31 PM   #20
way2fastmike
1973 CJ5 

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1371767700 http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1371769744 http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1371767560
Unread 06-20-2013, 07:46 PM   #21
frhrwa
Fish'n Fool

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skizriz View Post
A common test for shocks is to bounce the front or rear up and down. Once you stop, it should bounce less than three times if the shocks are good.
The steering dampener is basically a shock. You should feel some resistance as you pull it in and out. If there is no resistance, or it feels "notchy" change it out.

Do you have a sway bar?

Also check for condition of all suspension bushings, U-bolts for looseness, and any play in tie rod ends and ball joints.
bouncing should be 1 bounce and a return.. if it bounces 2 or 3 times or more, then your bouncing on bad shocks!..
Unread 06-20-2013, 07:53 PM   #22
ghostship
1978 CJ7 

Although everything stated so far is fairly accurate and will negatively affect steering, they don't explain the sudden appearance of the problem. I have had this happen on more than one old CJ, and every time it was due to a bad tie rod. I bet you either hit something that bent it or, more likely, the adjusting sleeve is slipping. Years plus bigger tires plus rust can cause the tierod to get pulled out, like with the force of a turn lyou described. Then when you try to return the wheel to 'straight', one of the tires is actually off at a slight angle. Then you force the steering more to correct, sometimes it slips back in place...but eventually the rod ends up bending under the force. I would check your rod, sleeve and ends before anything else.
ghostship is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 09:21 PM   #23
Double8racer
1984 CJ7 

check the brake fluid my cj went crazy the other day it almost did a hook shot off the road, and for some dumb reason i popped the cap on the brake fluid reservoir and the front was low causing one of the front calipers to hang up and make it very difficult to drive i do not have a booster and the brake pedal felt the same after i filled and bled the brakes.
Double8racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 11:11 AM   #24
way2fastmike
1973 CJ5 

it didn't just start, it has done it since I bought it. I did change out the shocks and it made a world of difference but still has some play in the steering. I can drive about 55 and not feel like im going to die but would really like to get it so my wife and daughter could drive it with out being scared .

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.