Steering Knuckle removal problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Steering Knuckle removal problem

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 06-03-2009, 04:16 PM   #1
2002fordgt
1960 CJ5 

Steering Knuckle removal problem

Allright guys i have a serious problem i am trying to take apart my d27 front axel and i am stuck on the spindel. I bought a socket for the nut but there is something in fron of the spindel but that i cannot figure out how to get off. I found an article in JP Magazine but it isnt very detailed. This is the picture of what i am looking at can anyone help me.

2002fordgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2009, 04:59 PM   #2
mmerlina
Image Glassworks, Inc.

1986 CJ7 

Can you clean it off a bit and snap another picture? I've never taken a dana 27 apart but I'm sure someone has.. they probably just need to see what you're working with there.

1986 Jeep CJ7 (photos)
Remanufactured 258, ARB lockers front & rear, 4.10 Yukon gears, 35x12.5" Super Swamper SSR's, Motorcraft 2100, 4.5" Rubicon Express Extreme-Duty lift, York 210 OBA, Big Daddy steering, Tatton rear CV driveshaft, Herculined interior, TJ flares, lots of body & upholstery work
mmerlina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2009, 05:05 PM   #3
newjeepinidaho
1966 CJ5 

i just did a disac brake conversion on my 27 after removing the locking hub therer was a washer behind it it just took to hooks and pulled it off check for a snap ring mine didn't have one but that doesn't mean anything
newjeepinidaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2009, 05:46 PM   #4
mmerlina
Image Glassworks, Inc.

1986 CJ7 

Yeah that's kinda what I was thinking where he was at. My dana 30 has the same washer you are talking about.. but I don't remember which order it was in. It's a washer that's bent out in a couple places. If it's what we're thinking.. you just need little hooks to get behind it and pull it out.

I used little dentist hooks like they clean your teeth with.

1986 Jeep CJ7 (photos)
Remanufactured 258, ARB lockers front & rear, 4.10 Yukon gears, 35x12.5" Super Swamper SSR's, Motorcraft 2100, 4.5" Rubicon Express Extreme-Duty lift, York 210 OBA, Big Daddy steering, Tatton rear CV driveshaft, Herculined interior, TJ flares, lots of body & upholstery work
mmerlina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2009, 11:14 PM   #5
2002fordgt
1960 CJ5 

well guys i looked for a washer but couldnt find what you are talking about. this thing i am trying to take off is threaded i think but i cannot turn it i will try toget a better picture to look at.
2002fordgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2009, 11:38 PM   #6
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

Some scout dana 44 fronts have a round looking spindle nut that looks like that. On the scouts there is a set screw holding the nut in place. I can't remember if it is on the face of the nut or up on an edge. So look for a set screw.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.