Steering Knuckle removal problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Steering Knuckle removal problem

Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 06-03-2009, 05:16 PM   #1
2002fordgt
1960 CJ5 

Steering Knuckle removal problem

Allright guys i have a serious problem i am trying to take apart my d27 front axel and i am stuck on the spindel. I bought a socket for the nut but there is something in fron of the spindel but that i cannot figure out how to get off. I found an article in JP Magazine but it isnt very detailed. This is the picture of what i am looking at can anyone help me.

2002fordgt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2009, 05:59 PM   #2
mmerlina
Image Glassworks, Inc.

1986 CJ7 

Can you clean it off a bit and snap another picture? I've never taken a dana 27 apart but I'm sure someone has.. they probably just need to see what you're working with there.

1986 Jeep CJ7 (photos)
Remanufactured 258, ARB lockers front & rear, 4.10 Yukon gears, 35x12.5" Super Swamper SSR's, Motorcraft 2100, 4.5" Rubicon Express Extreme-Duty lift, York 210 OBA, Big Daddy steering, Tatton rear CV driveshaft, Herculined interior, TJ flares, lots of body & upholstery work
mmerlina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2009, 06:05 PM   #3
newjeepinidaho
1966 CJ5 

i just did a disac brake conversion on my 27 after removing the locking hub therer was a washer behind it it just took to hooks and pulled it off check for a snap ring mine didn't have one but that doesn't mean anything
newjeepinidaho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2009, 06:46 PM   #4
mmerlina
Image Glassworks, Inc.

1986 CJ7 

Yeah that's kinda what I was thinking where he was at. My dana 30 has the same washer you are talking about.. but I don't remember which order it was in. It's a washer that's bent out in a couple places. If it's what we're thinking.. you just need little hooks to get behind it and pull it out.

I used little dentist hooks like they clean your teeth with.

1986 Jeep CJ7 (photos)
Remanufactured 258, ARB lockers front & rear, 4.10 Yukon gears, 35x12.5" Super Swamper SSR's, Motorcraft 2100, 4.5" Rubicon Express Extreme-Duty lift, York 210 OBA, Big Daddy steering, Tatton rear CV driveshaft, Herculined interior, TJ flares, lots of body & upholstery work
mmerlina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2009, 12:14 AM   #5
2002fordgt
1960 CJ5 

well guys i looked for a washer but couldnt find what you are talking about. this thing i am trying to take off is threaded i think but i cannot turn it i will try toget a better picture to look at.
2002fordgt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2009, 12:38 AM   #6
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

Some scout dana 44 fronts have a round looking spindle nut that looks like that. On the scouts there is a set screw holding the nut in place. I can't remember if it is on the face of the nut or up on an edge. So look for a set screw.
foggybottombob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.