Steering knuckle ball stud - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Steering knuckle ball stud

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 12-06-2006, 01:33 PM   #1
Indy

Steering knuckle ball stud

I buggered up a couple treads on my steering knuckle top ball stud. Local shop is quoting about $70 just for the part and $30'ish for the install. Just me, or is that part cost really really high?

*edit

And am I really really crazy, or do people at alignment shops not know what a steering knuckle and ball stud are? I'm going to have to take the thing around town and show them the part.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2006, 04:45 PM   #2
Shameless Elmer
1983 CJ5 

If the only thing wrong is that the threads are messed up why not just chase the threads with a die? Your local auto parts store might loan you one. If not take it to any machine shop. If they don't do it for free, it shouldn't be more than a couple of bucks.
Shameless Elmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2006, 10:54 PM   #3
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

Alignment shops don't take that stuff apart. They just check the alignment and correct it if it's something minor like toe in/out. Might help if you called it a ball joint.
jeepskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2006, 08:10 AM   #4
Indy

Good ideas, ty.

Unread 12-08-2006, 11:09 AM   #5
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

ball joints, both sides, top and bottom for me came in around $75.00, so 70 for just the top on one side seems a bit high, although if they are only going to charge you 30 bucks to take the whole thing apart, press out the old one, put the new one back in and then ptu it all back together, that seems kind of on the low side.

It will take at least an hour to get it all apart and back together, not to mention pressing in/out.

cb

CertifiableJeep website
'76 ORANGE CJ-5
'76 MAROON CJ-5
'78 SILVER CJ-7
'82 WHITE CJ-8 Build Thread
'83 GREEN UK CJ-7 Build Thread
ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member
Forum
certifiablejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2006, 02:02 PM   #6
Indy

That's the thing. I've got the knuckle sitting in my truck, all it needs is the stud pressed out and the new one pressed in. Seems like a 5 minute job to me, I just don't have a press.

Unread 12-08-2006, 02:15 PM   #7
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

put it in a vice and hammer it out with a big punch, that works for me most of the time.

As for this next step, I have never done it, but I read somewhere that you can put the ball joint in the freezer and heat up the knuckle and the 2 can push in together or something like that. I remember reading it here or on some other forum for some cheap fixes. Not sure if it will work or not, but just a thought.

Again, I think it would need to be very cold and very hot in order for it to just slip in, but who knows...

cb

CertifiableJeep website
'76 ORANGE CJ-5
'76 MAROON CJ-5
'78 SILVER CJ-7
'82 WHITE CJ-8 Build Thread
'83 GREEN UK CJ-7 Build Thread
ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member
Forum
certifiablejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2006, 02:42 PM   #8
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

There *are* ball joint/u-joint service kits you can get from Harbor Freight and the like for around $50-60. Obviously longer and harder than using a press, but it does work. I did one knuckle with it (you should replace both the upper & lower ball joints while you have the knuckle off...just good sense) then went over to Harbor Freight the next time they had a sale and picked up a 20 ton press for around $170-180...makes me almost as popular as the guys with welders: ball joints, u-joints, t-case gears, diff gears, 1-piece axle installs, etc. I just use the manual kit for the various fittings now and carry it on the trail.
jeepskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2006, 03:53 PM   #9
Mr.Crowley
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb4158
put it in a vice and hammer it out with a big punch, that works for me most of the time.

As for this next step, I have never done it, but I read somewhere that you can put the ball joint in the freezer and heat up the knuckle and the 2 can push in together or something like that. I remember reading it here or on some other forum for some cheap fixes. Not sure if it will work or not, but just a thought.

Again, I think it would need to be very cold and very hot in order for it to just slip in, but who knows...

cb
that works on anything with a tapered-pressed fit..Freezing the ball joint will shrink it and heating the knuckle will expand it...Slip it in quickly and maybe a whack of a hammer and it should be good..you just have to work fast..
"offroad it, and wave then you might understand"[/QUOTE]
BLS Home Chapter... Where it all Started
:hahaha: yj

My low Buck Rock Crawler project Project..Stop by and check it out..[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=497896"][B][COLOR="DarkOrange"]The lizzard Queen[/COLOR][/B][/URL]
Mr.Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.