Steering Issue w/ Symptoms - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Steering Issue w/ Symptoms

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-20-2011, 09:15 PM   #16
L78THUMPER
2007 MK Compass 

Man you guys have him going crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have someone turn the wheel while you look, listen and feel for the noise then you will find your problem. Simple It's not rocket science

L78THUMPER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2011, 03:23 AM   #17
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by L78THUMPER View Post
Man you guys have him going crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have someone turn the wheel while you look, listen and feel for the noise then you will find your problem. Simple It's not rocket science
It's not always that easy. Ball joints in the steering knuckles can be hard to pinpoint but moving the brake rotors back and forth can be done whether you have power or manual steering. Axle U-joints in the steering knuckles are easy to determine if they are defective just by turning the steering wheel either to the left or right until it stops. Crawl underneath and spin the axle shafts by hand while the wheel is turned. This method puts the U-joint at an angle so as you spin the axle, the U-joint needs to go through its motions. Just make sure your hubs are unlocked or are in the 4x2 position while checking U-joints.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2011, 02:29 PM   #18
cjkcj7
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
I understand what you mean. However, this is an intermittent issue. It sometimes happens and sometimes doesn't. That's what's making it hard to diagnose.
Unread 08-29-2011, 02:52 PM   #19
cjkcj7
1983 CJ7 

UPDATE:

I was trying to diagnose the issue and bent the tie rod and steering stabilizer in the process.

Is it a difficult job for a non-mechanic like me to replace these items? It seems pretty straight forward (remove and replace with hand tools). Replacing the ball joints/axle u-joints is more than likely beyond my skill level. I would probably have to bring it to a shop for this.

Finally, I imagine an alignment would be necessary after replacing any or all of these items (tie rod,steering stabilizer, ball joints, axle u-joint)? Is this correct?

Again, thanks for all the help.
Unread 09-04-2011, 01:52 PM   #20
cjkcj7
1983 CJ7 

UPDATE:

I replaced the tie rod and removed the steering stabilizer yesterday. Not too difficult.

It definitely needs an alignment! Dropping it off first thing Tuesday morning for that.

keith460-While I had it up after replacing the tie rod, I did as you explained earlier and felt no resistance/popping. Things moved smoothly, but stiff/solid, not sloppy. Is that normal?

One additional question: Do I have to use a steering sabilizer or is it just personal preference? I have a 2.5" lift and do very little off roading.

Thanks again for all the help.
Unread 09-04-2011, 05:30 PM   #21
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjkcj7 View Post
... While I had it up after replacing the tie rod, I did as you explained earlier and felt no resistance/popping. Things moved smoothly, but stiff/solid, not sloppy. Is that normal?
Yes. The parts should move freely with a little resistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjkcj7 View Post
... Do I have to use a steering sabilizer or is it just personal preference? I have a 2.5" lift and do very little off roading.
No, you don't need a steering stabilizer. It will help damp unwanted steering input from bump steer if your drag link angle is fairly steep.

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.
gojeepin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2011, 07:41 PM   #22
FXCJ8
1982 CJ8 

my Scrambler has symptoms similar to what sycjkcj7 and keith460 described.

My issue is intermittent, when steering is close to on center, at lowers speeds, and after I have been driving for 10+ minutes.

I took the prior advise, put it up on jack stands & took the wheels off. It took a decent amount of effort to turn the rotors on the joints. I didn't hear any popping or other noises.

The tie rods, and other external parts don't appear to be binding.

I am wondering if it should have taken that much effort to turn the joints w/the rotors. Or, could it be the power steering box?

thanks in advance
FXCJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2011, 01:14 PM   #23
cjkcj7
1983 CJ7 

UPDATE/SOLUTION:

I hope this doesn't jinx it; I think I've found a solution.

I removed the old tie rod and steering stabilizer. I installed a tie rod from an '86 CJ. I did not install a new steering stabilizer. I greased all the fittings and got it aligned. The whole job cost $100 ($25 for the tie rod and $75 for the alignment).

I haven't had any of the symptoms since completing the repairs.

Thanks for all the input and help, JF!

Unread 09-12-2011, 03:08 PM   #24
frhrwa
Fish'n Fool

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Quote:
When you find out where the pop is coming from you'll know. You need to recreate the condition when somone is in a position to detect the sound.
I was going to say, just find a small friend, ha ha.. and tie him under the front, go out and drive it and make some turns so he can tell you where its coming from... but don't tell him I said that.. ha
Unread 09-12-2011, 03:23 PM   #25
Jacoby22
1983 CJ7 

I had this going on for awhile. All I did was adjust my steering column, found out it was making mine bind up every now and then. Just givin my suggestion might not fix your problem, but its worth a shot!
Jacoby22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.