Steering issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Steering issue

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 06-12-2005, 04:02 PM   #1
Fropleyqk
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Steering issue

I'm slowly sorting through my Jeep's problems and now I'm moving to steering. Currently the steering's pretty bad. Wanders all over the place. I just replaced my lower column bearing this morning. Right now, I know that the Steering Box needs to be replaced and my shackles are too big, that'll come later. But besides that, I've been reading a lot about shims and 6 degrees of castor. Being the new guy that I am, I'm not really understanding exactly how that works or where to put them. From what I've read, they can really help, I'd like to give that a shot but I'm kinda lost. Does anyone have any pics? Or a link to a good thread? Thanks everyone.

Fropleyqk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2005, 04:08 PM   #2
390fastback
2000 XJ Cherokee 

They go between the spring and the axel to rotate the axel back to its original position. To long of a shackle is a bad thing also, it will affect the drivability of you Jeep. As for pics, sorry dude, don't have any.
68 Wildcat (also in progress)
68 International 1200 4x4
78 F150 4x4 400 4spd
390fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2005, 05:00 PM   #3
Fropleyqk
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I know too long of a shackle is a problem and mine are. I'm eventually just going to go with a whole new lift kit, that's later though.
Unread 06-12-2005, 05:39 PM   #4
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

It's those monster shackles dude.. They're killing your caster angle. Shims might help a little but best bet would be to toss those shackles or maybe we can shorten them a couple inches on the bandsaw. If you still wanna try some shims (basically wedges that look like thin doorstops), make sure you use steel ones and not aluminum.. the aluminum ones will bend and eventually crack. I had some in the rear of my Blue CJ before I swapped axles. They were only back there for like 2 months. When I removed them, they were bent slightly to the arch of the spring and already starting to crack at the pin hole.. next, they would've spit out from between the spring and the mount.. definately something you don't want with the front axle

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2005, 06:27 PM   #5
Fropleyqk
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I know. I just didnt want to dive into that yet. If I shorten the shackles I lower the Jeep. If I lower the Jeep, I should buy a whole new lift kit. If I buy a new lift kit I might as well get bigger wheels. If I get bigger wheels......

Yeah, you're right though.....

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.