Steering issue -

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 06-12-2005, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
1999 TJ Wrangler 
Steering issue

I'm slowly sorting through my Jeep's problems and now I'm moving to steering. Currently the steering's pretty bad. Wanders all over the place. I just replaced my lower column bearing this morning. Right now, I know that the Steering Box needs to be replaced and my shackles are too big, that'll come later. But besides that, I've been reading a lot about shims and 6 degrees of castor. Being the new guy that I am, I'm not really understanding exactly how that works or where to put them. From what I've read, they can really help, I'd like to give that a shot but I'm kinda lost. Does anyone have any pics? Or a link to a good thread? Thanks everyone.

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 5 Old 06-12-2005, 04:08 PM
2000 XJ Cherokee 
They go between the spring and the axel to rotate the axel back to its original position. To long of a shackle is a bad thing also, it will affect the drivability of you Jeep. As for pics, sorry dude, don't have any.

2000 Cherokee
68 Mustang Fastback (in progress)
71 Mach 1
68 Wildcat (also in progress)
68 International 1200 4x4
78 F150 4x4 400 4spd
post #3 of 5 Old 06-12-2005, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
1999 TJ Wrangler 
Yeah, I know too long of a shackle is a problem and mine are. I'm eventually just going to go with a whole new lift kit, that's later though.
post #4 of 5 Old 06-12-2005, 05:39 PM
1980 CJ5 
It's those monster shackles dude.. They're killing your caster angle. Shims might help a little but best bet would be to toss those shackles or maybe we can shorten them a couple inches on the bandsaw. If you still wanna try some shims (basically wedges that look like thin doorstops), make sure you use steel ones and not aluminum.. the aluminum ones will bend and eventually crack. I had some in the rear of my Blue CJ before I swapped axles. They were only back there for like 2 months. When I removed them, they were bent slightly to the arch of the spring and already starting to crack at the pin hole.. next, they would've spit out from between the spring and the mount.. definately something you don't want with the front axle

'80 CJ5 w/AMC360, T176, D44 w/Detroit 4.56, RE 4" YJ lift and 35s..

Lower 2

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

More Crozet
post #5 of 5 Old 06-12-2005, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
1999 TJ Wrangler 
Yeah, I know. I just didnt want to dive into that yet. If I shorten the shackles I lower the Jeep. If I lower the Jeep, I should buy a whole new lift kit. If I buy a new lift kit I might as well get bigger wheels. If I get bigger wheels......

Yeah, you're right though.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.