Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Steering Components Need Replacement

565 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  mthomp83 
#1 ·
I'm not too familiar with the steering components on my 1977 CJ5 but I do know that there is a lot of play in the steering wheel. One of the PO put a Chevy truck steering column and steering wheel in the Jeep and there is A LOT of play in the steering wheel.

I can literally grab the steering shaft and shake it so it is that loose in the gear assembly. There may be some other messed up components but I'm thinking that the steering column, shaft, coupling, and gear assembly need to be replaced.

I am not sure though and I'm really not sure what information to include and what questions to ask. I don't want to end up sinking a ton of money replacing everything until I find out what is wrong or taking it to a shop for that matter.

Can anyone help with this issue?

#2 ·
The stock column is a GM, or Saginaw, steering column so it may not be a swap.

Inspect every piece from the column down to the tires before assuming what needs to be replaced.

There are lots of threads of what to look out for, including the steering box mounting brackets.

#3 ·
thanks for the info....the jeep has a non-tilt chevy steering wheel on it, i'm sure that at least that is not stock

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.