Steering Column Swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Steering Column Swap

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 05-25-2008, 09:22 PM   #1
tball

Steering Column Swap

Looking to swap my standard steering column in my cj5 to a tilt column, are there any out there that are fairly simple to install with out spending a fortune for a custom one.

tball is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2008, 09:27 PM   #2
jcooley7
1985 CJ7 

quadratec or 4wd

quadratec has one for abot 315 with tilt
jcooley7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2008, 08:06 AM   #3
tball

Are there any other makes or models

Are there any other makes or models that I may get at a salvage yard. I'm trying to get by cheap because I have alot of work to do on my jeep.
Unread 05-26-2008, 11:07 AM   #4
petey156
1977 CJ5 

i have heard that cars like 70's forebirds and cameros have a similar column try s search for GM a body column. if you are up to a challenge i just put a tilit column out of a 72 AMC eagle ($20 Ebay) into my 77 cj5. only thing i had to change was i had to cut the output shart a bit and then i pinned it to my stock steering shaft.
petey156 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2008, 07:07 AM   #5
tball

thanks for the info

I'm still looking on ebay for the one thats priced right, if anyone else has done this plese reply.
Unread 05-28-2008, 07:52 AM   #6
badady1
1986 CJ7 

Go to www.ididit.com. They make a steering column that looks sweet and is priced right. I am about to do the same thing.
Unread 05-28-2008, 07:58 AM   #7
NoNeck
1984 CJ7 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...235318979&rd=1

Will sell you a restored column for $265. I spoke to him on the phone and just sent him my tilt column for a rebuild. I got my column on Ebay for $65. He said to rebuild will be between $90 and $130. He does not have any auctions listed right now but drop him an email.
NoNeck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2008, 02:00 PM   #8
trctrdrvr
1971 CJ5 

I'm in the process of doing the same thing, ang ideals on what length column to buy
trctrdrvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2008, 06:54 PM   #9
CJfreak
1975 CJ5 

I also am doing the same thing to my '75 right now. I've heard the camaros and firebirds mentioned before too but whats wrong with staying Jeep? I'm trying to fit a tilt column from a '79 CJ into mine complete with Jeep logo steering wheel and so far the only problem I see is I may have to cut an inch out of the steering shaft and weld back together. Anybody done the same swap and what problems have you encountered?
Unread 05-28-2008, 07:16 PM   #10
NoNeck
1984 CJ7 

I have a steering column in my attic from a 69 Chevelle and a 72 Chevelle. If someone waht to take measurements of their CJ column, we can compare to see if a GM A-Body column will fit. (Which I believe they will.) As for keeping it all Jeep, the columns were not made by Jeep or GM I'd bet as they are all the same down to the wiring harnesses. They were probably mass produced by a second party supplier.
NoNeck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2008, 08:30 PM   #11
tball

found one

I found one out of a 1975 camero for 100 bucks, I'm going to give it a try in a couple weeks I will let you guys know how it went.
Unread 05-29-2008, 09:12 PM   #12
erik5387
1984 CJ7 

HA! This is the exact swap I want to do on mine...blows my mind how expensive they are! I started looking figuring I would find it for $100, boy was I wrong!! Still looking and hoping though.
erik5387 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2008, 06:47 AM   #13
tball

Keep Looking

Keep looking on ebay , do a search for steering columns and you should be able to find on for a fire bird or camero fairly cheap with a buy it now option.
Unread 06-12-2008, 09:11 PM   #14
tball

completed swap

Just completed my column swap, all I had to do was to cut 1 1/4" off the old column and add to the column I got out of a 1975 camaro it was a direct bolt up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.