Steering Column rebuild - Help! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Steering Column rebuild - Help!

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 08-29-2013, 01:53 PM   #16
TRUVOL
1985 CJ7 

You say you have a wobble. I would check the lower bearing on the lower column of the steering shaft(firewall). Mine gave me that as well. Also the coupler gave out which connects to the gearbox. Although I have PS. Hope that helps.

TRUVOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 03:11 PM   #17
Skerr
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

You already bought the lockplate? The cancelling cam can be purchased from an auto parts store. Do you have tilt?

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 03:17 PM   #18
aggiejon
1979 CJ7 

Lockplate, retaining clip, and cancelling cam should be in tomorrow. I had no issues with wobble when I had the grant wheel installed. The intermediate shaft and lower coupler have been replaced. The Jeep was initially a manual steering, but has had a J20 power steering box conversion. I called the parts house and it was no cheaper than getting it online. Since they didn't have the other two parts, I just figured thats one less stop I have to make on the way home.

I hope to have it all in and installed by the end of the weekend. I'll report back on Monday as to how its doing. Thanks
aggiejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 05:09 PM   #19
iluvcowjuice
1979 CJ7 

You should also have a horn button between the spring and the round plate.
iluvcowjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2013, 06:24 AM   #20
aggiejon
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvcowjuice
You should also have a horn button between the spring and the round plate.
I have all of that stuff. When I bought the steering wheel, I also got a bag of extra parts, which included the horn components.
Unread 09-09-2013, 12:03 PM   #21
aggiejon
1979 CJ7 

An update on the steering column. Added the lock plate, retainer ring, anti theft plate and got everything tightened back down. It is no better than it was when I started. So I guess I'll drive it a little longer until I find a better column. It is just a ranch jeep so I'm not too worried about it long term. But, I'd still like it right. I guess I'll keep on at it...
Unread 09-09-2013, 12:31 PM   #22
iluvcowjuice
1979 CJ7 

Did you need to put pressure on the plate to get the snap ring on?
iluvcowjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 12:31 PM   #23
TRUVOL
1985 CJ7 

Check your lower steering column bearing. In engine compartment up against firewall. Mine was bad
Unread 09-09-2013, 12:44 PM   #24
aggiejon
1979 CJ7 

Cow juice, yes. It was a bear to get the ring installed. Took lots of pressure.

Truvol, can the lower bearing be replaced from under good or does the whole column have to be taken apart?
Unread 09-09-2013, 12:59 PM   #25
TRUVOL
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiejon View Post

Truvol, can the lower bearing be replaced from under good or does the whole column have to be taken apart?
Yes. Its under your brake booster. You will have to disconnect your steering shaft at firewall under hood to replace it. My needle bearings were completely gone. Also check your coupler. It attaches to your gearbox. Mine was blown out. It shouldn't make any kind of clicking noise.
Unread 09-09-2013, 01:06 PM   #26
TRUVOL
1985 CJ7 

Quote:

You don't have to pull your upper steering column and not even the steering wheel.
Unread 09-09-2013, 01:37 PM   #27
aggiejon
1979 CJ7 

Ok. The steering coupler is new, as I had to replace it when I swapped over to power steering. I'll try the lower bearing. See if that helps matters. Thanks
Unread 09-09-2013, 01:50 PM   #28
TRUVOL
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Ok. The steering coupler is new, as I had to replace it when I swapped over to power steering. I'll try the lower bearing. See if that helps matters. Thanks
I bought the plastic retainer, bearing, and clip all together for 15 dollars. Make sure you pack the new bearing with grease cause my new one didn't have any and the bearing snaps into the plastic retainer. My old one wouldn't even stay in place.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.