Steering Column rebuild - Help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Steering Column rebuild - Help!

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 08-27-2013, 08:26 AM   #1
aggiejon
1979 CJ7 

Steering Column rebuild - Help!

Guys,

The last major piece of the Jeep re-rebuild saga. Needing to get the steering column buttoned up. I replaced the ignition lock cylinder (doesn't fall out anymore) and the turn signal cam. Now here is where I am running into problems.

The PO replaced the stock steering wheel with a little chrome grant steering wheel. Guy must have slept through physics because a 13" steering wheel trying to move 33" wheels through a manual steering system was tough. I have since purchased a larger stock wheel and added power steering.

Since he added the grant, he also removed the lock plate and various other components that I have yet to identify as missing. I put the wheel and column back together.

Looking at a diagram from the FSM - I replaced the upper bearing. From there it was turn signal cam, thrust washer, preload spring, steering wheel and nut. So I am missing the cancelling cam, lock plate, and anti-theft cover. Not a super big deal except for one thing.....the steering wheel shaft wobbles around on me.

So my question would be is the wobble due to the lack of lock plate etc. or is something missing or askew in the overall assembly of the column? And additionally, does anyone have any spare steering column parts laying around?

aggiejon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2013, 11:44 AM   #2
DougE
1983 CJ7 

Hard to say from your information but......The spring pressure against the lock plate is what secures the steering shaft. You must use something to compress the lock plate/spring to put the steering shaft snap ring in place. If you could find washers with the right internal diameter to fit snugly on the shaft it might work but I don't know what you could use to compress the spring.
Unread 08-28-2013, 12:36 PM   #3
aggiejon
1979 CJ7 

That is the info I was looking for. The PO removed the lock plate and the retaining clip to keep it in place. I attempted to tighten the steering wheel down tight enough to keep it put but became obvious it wasn't going to work.

Now to find someone who has a box of leftover disassembled columns. I'd hate to buy an entire column for a lock plate, retaining ring and anti theft cover. And don't exactly want to attempt it at the pick n pull yard either.

Does the lock plate fit snug into the column? I may just cut out a thin piece of metal the same thickness.
Unread 08-28-2013, 03:35 PM   #4
jimdubose
1978 CJ5 

from the inter-web:

Fabricate yourself one out of a spring!
The diameter of this retaining snap-ring is 3/4″ (0.75″) with 1/16″ (0.0625″) thick round steel. The gap at the end is approximately 3/32 to 1/8″ (0.09375″ to 0.125″).

Find a quality 3/4″ diameter spring with 0.062″ thick steel at to your favorite hardware or home improvement store. Then use either a saw, dremmel cutting wheel or wire cutters (if you’re really in a hurry) and cut one coil out of the spring. If your cutting wheel is 1/8″ thick, you can simply make a straight cut across multiple coils and you should have the exact ring with the gap you need as the result. Depending on the coil of your spring, you may need to bend it slightly to straighten it. A quick press in a vice between blocks of wood should do the trick.
The following solution should work for all Saginaw steering columns from the 60′s through the 90′s that are commonly found in GM and Chrysler cars and trucks.

also, since this is a Saginaw column, this site offers parts:

http://www.steeringcolumnservices.co.../snap-ring.php

Instructions
Exploded Views
Home Steering Column Parts GM, Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Oldsmobile, Pontiac Internal Parts Snap Ring
Snap Ring (Tilt & Non-Tilt Designs)

Our Part # Snap (that part is ten bucks),
Fits Makes: GM, Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, GMC, Oldsmobile, Pontiac
Fits Years: 1969-2006

and the plates:

Lock Plate (tilt design)

Our Part # GMPLATE
OEM # 7837171 (New Old Stock)
$54.12
Lock Plate (tilt design)

Our Part # GMPLATE1
OEM # 26017656
$41.27
Lock Plate (non-tilt design)

Our Part # GMPLATE3
OEM # 7837185 (New Old Stock)
$57.59

I believe i'd head to the U-Pull it place and find an old Gm product, pulling it is relatively quick and simple, and the parts will be much much cheaper
jimdubose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2013, 03:42 PM   #5
aggiejon
1979 CJ7 

Jim,

Thanks for all that info. I was thinking about doing exactly what you suggested. Was just waiting to get home to pull out the calipers to measure the shaft. Then looking for a lock plate, etc., I found a guy on ebay who had the lock plate, the anti theft cover, and the spring for sale. I think I ended up spending $40 on all of it. I can't drive to the pick n pull (45 miles each way), and buy the parts for $40. Not to mention spend the time driving and pulling, plus my penchant for buying more stuff than what i need because it happens to be "opportune".
Unread 08-28-2013, 04:03 PM   #6
jimdubose
1978 CJ5 

spoken like a true johnny manziel fan.

didn't realize the u-pull-it wasn't just across town, that makes a difference unless you're riding each way on a scooter. once you've pulled one of them apart, the next bunch are easier, but ebay seems the way to go, although that feller coudda sold you the parts for the entire fifteen dollars they are worth and not forty bucks, that is more in line with what they would have been at the junk yard
jimdubose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2013, 04:11 PM   #7
TRUVOL
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiejon View Post
Guys,

The last major piece of the Jeep re-rebuild saga. Needing to get the steering column buttoned up. I replaced the ignition lock cylinder (doesn't fall out anymore) and the turn signal cam. Now here is where I am running into problems.

The PO replaced the stock steering wheel with a little chrome grant steering wheel. Guy must have slept through physics because a 13" steering wheel trying to move 33" wheels through a manual steering system was tough. I have since purchased a larger stock wheel and added power steering.

Since he added the grant, he also removed the lock plate and various other components that I have yet to identify as missing. I put the wheel and column back together.

Looking at a diagram from the FSM - I replaced the upper bearing. From there it was turn signal cam, thrust washer, preload spring, steering wheel and nut. So I am missing the cancelling cam, lock plate, and anti-theft cover. Not a super big deal except for one thing.....the steering wheel shaft wobbles around on me.

So my question would be is the wobble due to the lack of lock plate etc. or is something missing or askew in the overall assembly of the column? And additionally, does anyone have any spare steering column parts laying around?
I have a grant steering wheel on mine. No lock plate and no snap ring.
TRUVOL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2013, 04:12 PM   #8
TRUVOL
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougE View Post
Hard to say from your information but......The spring pressure against the lock plate is what secures the steering shaft. You must use something to compress the lock plate/spring to put the steering shaft snap ring in place. If you could find washers with the right internal diameter to fit snugly on the shaft it might work but I don't know what you could use to compress the spring.
Retard strength. Lol
Unread 08-28-2013, 04:34 PM   #9
aggiejon
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdubose View Post
spoken like a true johnny manziel fan.

I can't deny I love my Aggies! Look at my Jeep, its not just any maroon, but straight color matched from the paint shop that provides the paint for the Kyle Field scoreboards. Class of 2001. But I definitely think Johnny didn't help matters much with his summer of twittering and partying. I know you are in college, and I did my fare share. But at least don't send your personal life out there for the entire world to see, especially when most of the world knows who you are. The boy does have skills on the football field. Hope all this has helped him grow up some.

I agree on the $15 bucks they are worth. Oh well, whats $40 more to the seemingly endless money pit that is a jeep. Its still cheaper than therapy. I figured that the money spent to get it going again is well worth it, just to see the smile on my little girl's face when we go riding around the farm in the Jeep.
Unread 08-28-2013, 04:56 PM   #10
TRUVOL
1985 CJ7 

Quote:

I can't deny I love my Aggies! Look at my Jeep, its not just any maroon, but straight color matched from the paint shop that provides the paint for the Kyle Field scoreboards. Class of 2001. But I definitely think Johnny didn't help matters much with his summer of twittering and partying. I know you are in college, and I did my fare share. But at least don't send your personal life out there for the entire world to see, especially when most of the world knows who you are. The boy does have skills on the football field. Hope all this has helped him grow up some.

I agree on the $15 bucks they are worth. Oh well, whats $40 more to the seemingly endless money pit that is a jeep. Its still cheaper than therapy. I figured that the money spent to get it going again is well worth it, just to see the smile on my little girl's face when we go riding around the farm in the Jeep.
Johnny gonna get hurt this year. Watch and see.
Unread 08-28-2013, 06:31 PM   #11
aggiejon
1979 CJ7 

Hope not. But I know lots of guys will be gunning for his knees.
Unread 08-28-2013, 06:56 PM   #12
TRUVOL
1985 CJ7 

I would. Teach him a lesson not to run.
Unread 08-28-2013, 07:45 PM   #13
Tigerjeep79
1979 CJ7 

I rebuilt my steering column once. I'll never do it again.
Tigerjeep79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2013, 08:07 PM   #14
TRUVOL
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Guys,

You've inspired me to do mine or at least evaluate and inspect it.
Unread 08-29-2013, 10:27 AM   #15
DougE
1983 CJ7 

Don't get your response TRUVOL. His question had sat for a day without a response so I was trying to get some help initiated. I have rebuilt mine. Piece of cake once you've been through it the first time.
BTW, UT didn't try to recruit Manziel, bet there was a reason for it that the rest of us are just now finding out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.