Steering column question - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 04-30-2016, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
taklbury
1980 CJ7 

Steering column question

Odd ball question. Does anybody happen to know how long the exposed section of column shaft, (splined end) sticks out from the bearing collar? I ask this because during disassembly of my wreck I hammered pretty hard on the intermediate shaft trying to disengage it from the column shaft. The bearing disengaged from the collar during the process and worked itself down the shaft about an inch, so I thought. Months later, now I'm getting ready to throw on a new bearing setup and attach the new intermediate shaft and it just looks like I have too much column shaft sticking out. I dont even know if that's possible. I currently have 3" of exposed shaft. My steering box is moved forward 1 1/4" so I assumed I would have to stretch the new intermediate shaft to engage the column shaft but as it stands now I will have to compress it a bit then stretch it to slide over the column shaft. There doesn't seem to be any issue w/ the column shaft turning via the steering wheel. Is there any kind of slip shaft setup inside the column that I messed with accidentally?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-30-2016, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
taklbury
1980 CJ7 

I should add that this is a basic GM tilt column that is not original to my jeep.....if that matters.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-01-2016, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
taklbury
1980 CJ7 

I think I answered my own question. Refer to pages 17-18 in this pdf. Apparently there is a slipshaft inside the column and I'm thinking I lengthened it some during my hammer session to remove the intermediate shaft. Next question would be, do I leave well enough alone or do I try to hammer it back in to its original position? Any steering column gurus out there that can tell me if I screwed myself here!

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...21070826,d.dmo
post #4 of 4 Old 05-02-2016, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
taklbury
1980 CJ7 

Well I answered question #2 today. I decided to use the hammer approach and see what happens. Turns out the shaft slipped back in w/ little effort by tapping it w/ the hammer and a piece of wood. I tapped it in about 1 1/4" then put the new bearing assembly on it. Hopefully its good to go!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.