steering column question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > steering column question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-02-2002, 11:26 PM   #1
camruhman

steering column question

Hi,
My son just spun a rod bearing in my 85 CJ-7 that I just let him start diving, so a friend is in the process if rebuilding my 400 for me.
My question has to do with my steering column
It is a tilt column and it would often work itself loose prolly due to m pulling my big butt up into the Jeep by grabbing onto it.
I had had it tightened a few times but the mechanic who last tightened it said hat there is something nside the column...maybe some sort o collar or something that has busted and the re-tightening thing will no longer work.
I need to find out if I an use a standrad GM column in a Jeep or not, as I thin I can get one fairly cheap. Or does it have to be a "JEEP" or AMC column?
Also, do I have to replace the entire column? Or can I get by with just the "upper half"....from the knuckle to the wheel itself??
Any guidance or advice will be greatly appreciated. This rebuild is going to strech the wallet and if I could grab a cheap GM volimn or part of a collumn at a bonetard it would dure help a lot.
Thanks in advance and feel free to e-mail me privately at INphotogr4@aol.com
Mark INphotogr4@aol.com

camruhman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2002, 06:35 PM   #2
buddhasbomb

you can make any colum fit if ypur a good welder.the only reason to stay with a srictly cj colum is tlhe legnth would be right.perhaps a grab handle is in order?
buddhasbomb is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.