Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Steering column parts

508 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  dtcohen 
#1 ·
Hi, I am working on getting my steering column back into 100% working order. The last two things that I need to get working are the horn and the steering wheel lock.

The steering wheel lock wasn?t working because the spring that pushes the pin into the lock plate is broken. Any idea where I can get the spring?

The other piece I need is the round plastic piece that is held to the back of the steering wheel with three screws. It looks like it comes with a new steering wheel, but I don?t need a whole wheel. I just need the plastic piece.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Go to a website Steering Column Services. That is where I had to find hard to find parts. Good luck on the build.

#4 ·
If you have that spring, I'm betting you have a tilt steering wheel. I repaired my rack and sector on my tilt wheel column last spring, and used this item. As a bonus, it comes with a replacement spring, too!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000COBCL0?tag=vs-auto-convert-amazon-20

Column repair can be frustrating, but make sure you have the right tools beforehand, and be patient.

Best,
Hoover

#5 ·
You can find those parts in GM steering columns if you have junk yards as a resource. You'd need a steering wheel puller and lock plate removal tool. Unless you can locate them through the magic of mail! Don't know what it'd cost to buy from a supplier, but they would be pennies from a JY.

#6 ·
So I found the spring I was looking for, but no luck on the plastic trim ring. It looks like new steering wheel comes with the piece I need, but I havent found it sold separately. I don?t really want to buy a new wheel. Does anybody have an extra they would be will to part with?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.