Steering Column Mounting Bracket, Help Please... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Steering Column Mounting Bracket, Help Please...

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 10-21-2013, 07:45 AM   #1
CrankyD
1983 CJ7 

Steering Column Mounting Bracket, Help Please...

Does anyone have any insight as to what I'm doing wrong here. I have the bracket to the tub tight and when I bolt the column up to the bracket I have the little aluminum wedge shaped spacers in there and snugged up tight but the column still has about 1/2" of movement side to side. It's like the bolt is bottoming on the wedge and not holding the lower bracket on the column still. The upper bracket to the tub isn't moving and the clamshell bracket at the firewall is tight. I can only assume the wedges aree not in the right place.

column.jpg

CrankyD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2013, 08:28 AM   #2
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Are you using the washers?

B
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2013, 08:31 AM   #3
CrankyD
1983 CJ7 

Yeah if I remeber right they are the ones that don't come off the threads on the bolts. The Wedges are staying still just the bracket slides around in the grooves.

Edit: My wedges are in good condition, I see some threads where they are crumbling.
Unread 10-21-2013, 08:41 AM   #4
Blakescj7
1985 CJ7 

Pictures would help. The bolt shouldn't bottom out because it goes into a nut welded to a plate. Check and see if you have any of the plate brackets in wrong order.
Blakescj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2013, 09:00 AM   #5
yellow85cj
1985 CJ7 

Did you bolt the column to the "U" shaped bracket? The one you have circled in the pic?

Black bolts in the pic below.

Unread 10-21-2013, 09:17 AM   #6
CrankyD
1983 CJ7 

The bracket is secured to the column (black bolts). The aluminum wedge is secured to the uper bracket. The movement is occuring at lower bracket and the wedge (arrows). The bolts at the wedges are super snug and dont move either. its like there is no clamping effort on the lower bracket due to the wedge transfering the force through the lower bracket into the upper bracket.
column-2.jpg

Unread 10-21-2013, 11:48 AM   #7
yellow85cj
1985 CJ7 

I'm about out of ideas.

Maybe run though all the components. The pedal assembly bolts to the tub and a hanger comes from the tub (where the dash bolts on). Then there is a bracket that bolts to the hanger (it is the top part of the "U" shaped bracket). This ties everything together. There is also also a rod that goes from the side of the pedal bracket to the firewall (The rod may be on YJ's sorry not sure). Here's a pic of most of the parts out of the tub. It does not show the 2 column brackets that go around the column, just where they bolt to. Sorry, don't know who to give credit to for the pic, it's not mine.

Unread 10-21-2013, 12:02 PM   #8
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyD
The bracket is secured to the column (black bolts). The aluminum wedge is secured to the uper bracket. The movement is occuring at lower bracket and the wedge (arrows). The bolts at the wedges are super snug and dont move either. its like there is no clamping effort on the lower bracket due to the wedge transfering the force through the lower bracket into the upper bracket.
I find it strange that the bolts are not lined up, meening not straight across from one another.

B
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2013, 09:08 PM   #9
CrankyD
1983 CJ7 

False alarm, Everything is under control! I found the source of the shimmy... The upper bracket where it joins the tub at the top of the dash was just a litle bit loose. I used phillips head screws instead of the original Torx bolts, and they wer just ever so slightly loose. Thanks for all the help!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.