Steering column ignition switch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Steering column ignition switch

August special - FREE XJ Unibody stiffeners when you buy a~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!

Unread 05-09-2011, 06:07 AM   #1
lemahoney08
1980 CJ7 

Steering column ignition switch

I took my dash off to replace with a new one and as I am bolting the column back in a spring came out on the floor boards. I am not sure where it came from? Then I unbolted and took the column back out and the ignition switch had came apart and a few more smaller springs and copper things were laying there. Now when I turn the key, there is no return from ignition to run. My CJ7 has a YJ steering column.

My question is, are there springs up inside the steering column or if I replace the ignition switch module will that fix my problems. I am trying to determine if replacing the ignition switch is a waste of time or should I just go get a new column.

lemahoney08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2011, 08:22 AM   #2
NewdRiver_
1985 CJ7 

If I'm not mistaken, YJs had GM columns just like CJs.

The return spring for the key is inside the ignition switch.

Any auto parts store will have GM ignition switches.
NewdRiver_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2011, 09:37 AM   #3
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Sounds like you just have to replace the ignition switch.

Got a picture of the parts? I could tell you then..
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2011, 09:59 AM   #4
lemahoney08
1980 CJ7 

I will get pictures tonight and post them up in the morning. The ignition switch part is only 9.98 at Napa so I may just go that route and not be out much if it is not the problem.
lemahoney08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2011, 03:31 PM   #5
NewdRiver_
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemahoney08 View Post
I will get pictures tonight and post them up in the morning. The ignition switch part is only 9.98 at Napa so I may just go that route and not be out much if it is not the problem.
It is the problem. I've rebuilt my own column part by part. I disassembled my old ignition switch to map the connections. Those copper pieces are the contacts of the switch that ride on the plastic rails inside. They are spring loaded and covered in grease.

The return spring sits inside at the end of the switch and repels the slider. the slider is connected via a rod up to a rack under the shroud that is moved up and down via the motion of the key.

There are no hidden springs anywhere inside the column. In fact, the only spring in the column is for the lock plate (and if you have an auto column, for the selector lever).
NewdRiver_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2011, 07:08 PM   #6
jimdubose
1978 CJ5 

sounds like a new switch is in order. this link shows column guts piece by piece:

http://www.epiccomputer.com/dale/jee...tilt/tilt.html

john strenk has an excellent one as well
jimdubose is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.