steering cable - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > steering cable

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-23-2010, 09:42 PM   #1
sstewart252
1978 CJ5 

steering cable

What kind of a price am I looking at for a steering cable, not sure if that is what its called, steering rod maybe. its connected to the steering wheel. thanks

Steve

PS. do not throw me off this site

sstewart252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2010, 09:45 PM   #2
locked-up-XJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Im not sure what you are talking about. Are you talking about the shift cable? or the steering shaft, the one that goes from the steering column to the steering box?

85' CJ7 Project "Bentsome"
In Progress
locked-up-XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2010, 06:28 AM   #3
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstewart252 View Post
What kind of a price am I looking at for a steering cable, not sure if that is what its called, steering rod maybe. its connected to the steering wheel. thanks

Steve

PS. do not throw me off this site
Welcome, and why would you get thrown off the site for asking a question?...

Your steering wheel is connected to a steering column.
That column has a shaft in the middle.

That shaft connects to another shaft in the engine bay.
Those two shafts connect to each other via a Universal Joint.
That is the 'Steering Universal'.

Between the steering column and the steering box is a shaft in a tube arrangment.
The rod will telescope into the tube to absorb a front impact if you ever get hit head on.
That piece is commonly referred to as the steering 'Shaft'.

At the end of the steering shaft, there will be another 'Universal' joint to connect it to the steering box.
It may be a 'Rag' joint, which is basically a tire side wall piece that flexes with misalignment of the two pieces (Shaft & Box),
OR,
It might be a 'Knuckle' joint, which is some metal pieces with a steel sleeve over them.

For pricing on parts, have a look at places like FWD Hardware or Quadratech or some of the other Jeep parts suppliers.

Links, Jeep® CJ Steering Replacement Parts: Jeep® Steering Column Shaft, Jeep® Column Bearing Kit, Jeep® Pitman Arm, Jeep® Power Steering Pump, Jeep® Tie Rod Assembly, Jeep® Steering Knuckle, Jeep® Ball Joint Kit. - Quadratec

CJ Replacement Steering and Other Jeep Parts and Jeep Accessories by 4 Wheel Drive Hardware

If you described the issues you are having, it would be a lot easier for us to help out diagnosing the problem...
JeepHammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2010, 06:36 AM   #4
sstewart252
1978 CJ5 

steering column

WOW, Thanks for the reply, yes thats what it is called Steering Column. I can't thank you all enough.
sstewart252 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.