Steering Box Woes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Steering Box Woes

Bds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockRubicon express discounts from oconee off-roadRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba

Unread 09-13-2004, 07:03 PM   #1
shonuff

Steering Box Woes

Ok we spent the better half of the day going over the front end, some good and some bad. The good side is the prior owner replaced the ball joints, tie rods, etc... but appears to have neglected the steering box/shaft & shackle bushings. He was told to replace the parts he did and had them replaced but it still wobbled on him, one of the reasons he sold it so cheap (non-mechanical dude & it appears the local jeep shop was empting his wallet). Luckily for us the shop did a good job on the parts they replaced (according to my jeep friend) however some things still need replacing.

I am looking for advice on replacement parts:

Steering shaft assembly - Borgenson (sp?) sem to be the ones i see recommended most often.

Steering Box - autozone or ???? keeping it manual btw.

Complete Suspensin Bushing setup - Polyurethene, but which brand is prefered

I appreciate the advice, i just want to sure this thing up and do not want to waste money on oem parts that only improve the steering slightly, whereas upgrades will make it better than new.

Unread 09-13-2004, 07:16 PM   #2
rcsutton
2010 JK Wrangler 

If your going through all of these parts do a Power Sterring conversion. THE BEST mod you will ever do. Just finished and love it. ARG makes a good box but pricey. Really depends on what you want to do. Borgenson is a good shaft if you need it. Stock is 1/2 the price.
Unread 09-14-2004, 09:04 AM   #3
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

I agree with rc...if you're going to be replacing the box & shaft, this is the time to convert to power steering. You can find stock setups on Ebay, then use the box for a core if you want some piece of mind. I won't say don't use AGR, but they've had some 'issues' with quality & customer service the last couple of years (under new ownership). The original owner started up a new company, PSC, and that's where I'd go for upgraded heavy duty stuff. This is also a good time to get rid of the failure prone box mount. Flaming River or Borgeson is fine for the shaft. If you've still got the stock shackles, you might consider replacing them with some heavy duty greasable units, and you might want to replace the shackle hangers while you're at it. Yeah, the $$ adds up, but these are all failure prone items that are getting a bit long in the tooth. You can replace them while you've already got the stuff apart and do the labor once, or you can wait for them to fail on you (which could be potentially dangerous).
jeepskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2004, 05:47 PM   #4
shonuff

Thnx for the input, I debated the powersteering upgrade but decided to pass. The ruff steering I am used to had an old bronco doesn't really bother me & it will surely keep the wife out of the drivers seat.

I did go with a flaming river hd steering shaft, and picked up a new steering box @ j.c whitney -vs- rebuilding the existing one. I also bought a complete poly bushing set for it, and picked up greasable grade 5 bolts for the shackles. I will probablly just cut/brace my own shackles & save a few $$. After tooling with it today I decided to go ahead and replace the complete brake hose/line system and will be scouring the net for prices in a bit.

I have taken a few pictures and will post up a project progress web site this weekend, to cover all the upgrades/repairs as they go along. Just kind of a way to look back and say wow, type thing.

Anyways i xpect you guys will be seeing me around here more often now that I am expected to have this done by next winter (wife wants the master bath remodeled by end of 2005 as part of the deal to allow the $$$ to work on the jeep).
Unread 09-14-2004, 10:19 PM   #5
lord_byron

I'll add that you should replace the stock steering box mount. The Sam's Offroad mount is really sweet; its ALL 1/2" stock, with the nicest welds you will ever see. The Big Daddy box, and others I've seen, use 1/2" and 3/8" stock.

The Borgeson shaft is nice, but I'm not crazy about the way it mounts to the column and the box -- not nearly as secure as the stock shaft.
Unread 09-15-2004, 07:39 AM   #6
83greencj7

I had the same concern about the Borgeson shaft. The Flaming River shafts use the same setup. My solution was to drill point the shaft. I also used square head set screws. I crossdrilled the heads and then saftey wired them with aircrafft saftey wire.
83 CJ-7, AMC 360, RV CAM, GM FI, AUTO WITH SHIFT KIT, FRONT DANA 44 HP LOCKRIGHT HIGH STEER, REAR CURRIE 9" HP SHAVED AND SPOOLED, 37" PJ DIRT GRIPS, AJ'S BODY FENDERS AND HOOD, WARN HS9500, OBA, BESTOP TOP AND SEATS AND STILL GOING.
83greencj7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.