Steering box rebuild kit - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Steering box rebuild kit

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 11-15-2010, 05:52 PM   #1
Jimmbo
1981 CJ7 

Steering box rebuild kit

So I read on here somewhere() that rebuilding the steering box was way less expensive than getting the aftermarket one for around $400.

After looking around it seems they sell the kits for manual steering CJs.

Question is, does anybody sell the rebuild kits for units with power steering?

Thanks in advance....

Jimmbo

Jimmbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2010, 08:10 AM   #2
CSP

Rebuilding is cheaper. It's also about the most frustrating, time consuming, and detail oriented jobs you can do on a CJ. Get one little piece wrong and you can trash the steering box.

Buying a rebuilt box is a helluva lot cheaper than an aftermarket box. If you feel that a rebuild of your existing box is adequate, there's no need to spend $$$$ on an aftermarket box.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2010, 09:04 AM   #3
twildt
1978 CJ5 

yeah i just rebuilt my whole steering system from gear to steering wheel, the rebuilt steering gear i got from autozone(online only, its a special manufacturer that drop ships via their website) and it was i think $225.

Edit: it was $244 with a core of $85, so it actually only cost me $160.00!! And it works great too, stock gear on 4" of lift and 33" SS's, I got new brackets from quadratec and had to modify them a bit but other than that no problems and im real happy with it.
Habitual MSC#2 in summer and MSC#4 in winter.
My CJ Rebuild - http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/tas-cj5-rebuild-1130279
My Youtube Channel - http://youtube.com/tawildt
Other Pics - http://s1116.photobucket.com/albums/k579/twildt/1978%20CJ-5/
twildt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2010, 03:36 PM   #4
Jimmbo
1981 CJ7 

Thanks,

As usual after I posted the question I went hunting for more info and found a couple of threads that echo'd your words CSP, in that rebuilding yourself was a tedious task, and may not be suited for everybody.

Getting a "rebuilt" sounds like a good option to investigate. Autozone website eh? I'll check it out.
Jimmbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2010, 04:51 PM   #5
CJunk
1984 CJ7 

I got mine at autozone, and it worked out fine. The core charge is high as stated above. I think thats why the ones on the web are so expensive. They don't want to deal with shipping cores all over the place. I think I ended up paying $130 after I returned my core.
CJunk is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.