steering box rebuild - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > steering box rebuild

The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!Check out our NEW Steering Stuff!

Unread 02-06-2006, 02:07 PM   #1
tacodruff

steering box rebuild

I'm planning on rebuilding my original steering box from an 81 cj5 but I cant find any diagrams or rebuild tips/directions. If somebody could tell me where to go that would be greatly appreciated

tacodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2006, 05:56 PM   #2
n3480h

I guess it could be done, but you can get a rebuilt one pretty reasonable. I think there is a core charge, but they will allow you to bring the old one in when you've got the new one installed. Rebuilding one takes about six hands - and parts are not easy to find. Seems like most guys who try to rebuild one of these wind up with their balls on the floor, so to speak.

Building a new '83 CJ7 one part at a time.
n3480h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2006, 06:02 PM   #3
Shameless Elmer
1983 CJ5 

Don't do it! You'll likely end up with parts all around you before you know where they all came from.
Shameless Elmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2006, 11:24 PM   #4
Jermy01
1978 CJ7 

my dad and i did mine......but as mentioned......i dont think the rebuilt ones are that much more.......do a search, there used to be diagrams posted

here you go....remember, search function is your friend
http://jeepforum.com/forum/showthrea...power+steering

1978 CJ7, front and rear locker, 31'' BFG mud Terrain, superior axles. RE 2.5" lift. 304 V8. Warn M8000.
Jermy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2006, 10:54 AM   #5
lynn
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Got one from Advance Auto, for '75 CJ5... rebuilt by LARES Corp. $169 plus core ($50).
I'm quite happy with it.

EarlyCJ5.net Forums
lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2006, 08:33 AM   #6
tacodruff

I originally just wanted to learn something new about my jeep, but thanks for the advice... ill probly just pick up a rebuilt one and save the old one for later
Unread 02-08-2006, 08:39 AM   #7
tacodruff

oh yeah, i forgot to mention its manual steering. so can it still be done without balls on the floor?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.