Steering box Questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Steering box Questions

Swag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear BumperThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-04-2010, 12:18 PM   #1
frank c
1981 CJ5 

Steering box Questions

1981 cj5 power steering, when I had this jeep running for a few hours before my teardown to restore it the steering box would constantly drip fluid to the point it would need fluid added all the time .
Jeep ran down the road fine no issues with the steering so Question is about SEALS in the steering box, I called local parts store and seals are available for a reasonable price IS it worth trying to do seals to correct the leaking or just look for another box to replace this one ??? Anyone done replacement of the major seals in one of these before with satisfactory results OR not worth the effort.?????
Browsing through the cataloges STEERING BOXES ARE XXXPENSIVE !!!!@#$

frank c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2010, 02:11 PM   #2
mmerlina
Underground Jeeps

1986 CJ7 

Many people say it's not worth it to rebuild the steering boxes. I got my replacement box at autozone and I think it was like $130 or something.. and I don't remember about the core charge.

You can spend a LOT of money on boxes.. and I'm sure they're really worth it. But I went with a cheap replacement, if it craps out on me I'll probably go with a nicer one.

1986 Jeep CJ7 (photos)
Remanufactured 258, ARB lockers front & rear, 4.10 Yukon gears, 35x12.5" Super Swamper SSR's, Motorcraft 2100, 4.5" Rubicon Express Extreme-Duty lift, York 210 OBA, Big Daddy steering, Tatton rear CV driveshaft, Herculined interior, TJ flares, lots of body & upholstery work
mmerlina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2010, 02:24 PM   #3
frank c
1981 CJ5 

MIKE, you must have gotten a "rebuilt" unit for that kind of money.
How long have you had it in use now ?? Any quirks with it or does it seem just dandy like candy ??
That seems like a good route to go for the money if yer satisfied with it.
frank c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2010, 02:38 PM   #4
mmerlina
Underground Jeeps

1986 CJ7 

Hey yeah it was a rebuilt one. I bought it when I had 33's and no intention on going to 35's. However now that I'm on 35's, when this one craps out on me I'll go with a heavy duty one meant to turn bigger tires.

But as of right now, it's been on there a couple years with no problems. Gets me around and over everything I've wanted.

1986 Jeep CJ7 (photos)
Remanufactured 258, ARB lockers front & rear, 4.10 Yukon gears, 35x12.5" Super Swamper SSR's, Motorcraft 2100, 4.5" Rubicon Express Extreme-Duty lift, York 210 OBA, Big Daddy steering, Tatton rear CV driveshaft, Herculined interior, TJ flares, lots of body & upholstery work
mmerlina is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.