Steering box opinions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Steering box opinions

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 01-12-2010, 09:28 AM   #1
danheit
1979 CJ7 

Steering box opinions

I believe I need a new steering box in my new toy. Here's my 4 options, let me get your suggestions, and why you suggest it.
1. Rebuild what I have and tap it for hydro assist
2. Swap it for an extra YJ steering box I have lying around (don't know if it is a direct swap though)
3. Swap it for the box on my other CJ, and worry about the other one later, since I am gonna have to swap frames for the YJ frame I have anyways
4. Buy a new box (most likely AGR)

Build Thread: 1979 CJ7 Blue Jeep
danheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2010, 04:51 PM   #2
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

You did not list the big-bore J-20 box as an option. I would buy a replacement J-20 box, try it, and perhaps not bother with hydro-assist. if you still want hydro-assist, tap it after practicing on your current one (and possibly the YJ one as well). It isn't something you want to screw up.

Or, I'd just buy the new one from AGR that is built from the J-20 design and already tapped.

<--- Click "Classifieds" under my avatar to see all my parts (mostly CJ & XJ) currently for sale on JeepForum!
PavementPounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2010, 05:04 PM   #3
turnabout
1974 CJ5 

I agree with Pavement Pounder -- Go with a J20 or FSJ Saginaw for the box. You will be happy and save over the AGR or specialty boxes. You can go cheap and find them in junk cars like Caddies and Chevy station wagons from the 80's. Look for the obvious '76' in the casting on the box and a larger input shaft.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.