Steering box leaking, losing power steering fluid - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Steering box leaking, losing power steering fluid

2003-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Headlight Dark Background wiOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!1999-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Wheel Bearing & Hub Asse

Unread 11-22-2008, 03:29 PM   #1
hidehunter
1979 CJ7 

Steering box leaking, losing power steering fluid

I'm losing power steering fluid out of my power steering pump on my 1979 CJ7. The bottom of the pump is dry, as are the hoses. It looks as if the fluid is leaking out of the box where the shaft in the box comes out to the steering wheel shaft.
Can anyone tell me if the steering box has a seal similar to the rear differential, or something similar that can be replaced? Do I have to remove the box to repair the leak, etc.
Also, the steering has a lot of play in the box. how do I adjust the box to get rid of some of that play? It has 101,000 miles. I have a repair manual, but it doesn't have any info about any of this.

Thanks,
Hide hunter

hidehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2008, 05:07 PM   #2
HackFabrication
1976 CJ5 

Remove the gearbox. Either send it in, or take it somewhere and have it rebuilt. I sent mine to a place in Ohio, but there's got to be somewhere in MI that'll do it.
Unread 11-22-2008, 07:51 PM   #3
dbd
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidehunter View Post
I'm losing power steering fluid out of my power steering pump on my 1979 CJ7. The bottom of the pump is dry, as are the hoses. It looks as if the fluid is leaking out of the box where the shaft in the box comes out to the steering wheel shaft.
Can anyone tell me if the steering box has a seal similar to the rear differential, or something similar that can be replaced? Do I have to remove the box to repair the leak, etc.
Also, the steering has a lot of play in the box. how do I adjust the box to get rid of some of that play? It has 101,000 miles. I have a repair manual, but it doesn't have any info about any of this.

Thanks,
Hide hunter

I have a 79 with the exact same problem, fluid running out the bottom of the steering shaft....

There are a couple of options, there is a seal replacement kit avail from napa which will solve the prob., or.... i was thinking I have a 30 yr old steering box so a rebuild unit was about 200 bucks so I chose the expensive choice....

I have about 2-3 inches of play in the steering wheel so was hoping to take some of that play out of the system.....

good luck
dbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2008, 08:12 PM   #4
John N
1981 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbd View Post
.... i was thinking I have a 30 yr old steering box so a rebuild unit was about 200 bucks so I chose the expensive choice....

good luck
You made the right choice. Pretty much everyone I know of that tried to rebuild or replace seals in their steering boxes, ended up replacing them any way. They are difficult to get right. You could send your's off and have it rebuilt, PSC will do it, or just go a parts house and get a rebuild.
John N is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2008, 04:16 AM   #5
84jeepjohn
1984 CJ7 

I just had these issues too it's a Jeept hing right?Well I replaced the box and the pump (no kidding the pump started to leak 2 days after I changed the box) BUT I got mine from a auto parts chain.... it works, but I was NOT impressed with the quality of their box. Granted I've got a lifetime of new boxes when I decide to change it out. I should have just gone with PSC and gotten a new box/pump.
2005 Z71 Suburban with 1.5" rear spacers, and front leveled
84jeepjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2008, 10:32 AM   #6
dbd
1979 CJ5 

jeep john,

should we encounter the same problem, do you have a link to the psc pump

thanks
Unread 11-23-2008, 11:25 AM   #7
Hybrid Jeep
1976 CJ5 

Quadratec carries them:

http://www.quadratec.com/products/56112_1000.htm

To be honest, I have been looking to find them cheaper somewhere...
Hybrid Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2008, 01:27 PM   #8
84jeepjohn
1984 CJ7 

and right too the source http://www.offroadsteering.com/
2005 Z71 Suburban with 1.5" rear spacers, and front leveled
84jeepjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2008, 03:17 PM   #9
hidehunter
1979 CJ7 

Thanks for all the replies.
Is the PSC that much better than the rebuild they sell. How are they as far as steering wheel play and etc. There is a huge difference in price.
What is the difference between cylinder assist, extreme duty and variable ratio? I'd like it to be as responsive as possible. The old box has so much play its scary sometimes.
Thanks,
hidehunter
Unread 11-23-2008, 03:37 PM   #10
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Autozone has rebuilt boxes for about $185.
jscherb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2008, 04:53 PM   #11
HackFabrication
1976 CJ5 

^^^^ That's about what I paid to send mine in and get it rebuilt almost ten years ago....
Unread 11-23-2008, 05:17 PM   #12
John N
1981 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidehunter View Post
Thanks for all the replies.
Is the PSC that much better than the rebuild they sell. How are they as far as steering wheel play and etc. There is a huge difference in price.
What is the difference between cylinder assist, extreme duty and variable ratio? I'd like it to be as responsive as possible. The old box has so much play its scary sometimes.
Thanks,
hidehunter
I like PSC and the way they stand behind their work. I sent them an AGR SB II I had about 6 years that wouldn't turn left when crawling. They rebuilt it for $100. The same problem reoccured 6 months latter. They took the $100 off another box I bought and said to send the other one back again. They replaced the first one with one of theirs, no charge...I'd only paid for a rebuild on someone elses product.

Get a varrible ratio box, unless you're mostly off road. You don't need cylinder assist until you go to 38s or bigger. You may need a new steering shaft to rid of the all of the play, they wear out too.
John N is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2008, 09:31 PM   #13
dbd
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscherb View Post
Autozone has rebuilt boxes for about $185.
I just replaced the box today, purchased as Riebes and it was worth the money, took about 2 inches of play out of the steering wheel, and more importantly no leakage.......
Unread 11-24-2008, 03:19 PM   #14
hidehunter
1979 CJ7 

dbd,
I checked with Auto Zone today in my area, Michigan. Their price was $189.00, after I return the the core. Special order. Lifetime guarantee.
Sounds like the way I will go. Just hope the rebuilder is a good one.

hidehunter
Unread 11-24-2008, 04:29 PM   #15
dbd
1979 CJ5 

I just ran my install today and all the play and wandering that I had to get used to is GONE, the road manners are considerably changed, it actually tracks straight down the road, before i would hit the left line then the right line then the left line......

The steering is tight now and a prior post said their pump went out shortly after adding a new box, so guess I am waiting and not going out to tim-buck-two for a while till I see what happens...

but so far its good!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.