Steering box brace mounting - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Steering box brace mounting

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 07-14-2013, 03:17 PM   #1
GTNMUDY
1984 CJ7 

Steering box brace mounting

I just made a steering box brace for my 84 CJ-7. When I was looking for a spot to anchor the brace on the frame, I noticed a hole with a nut welded inside the frame. This was located about 2 inches behind the shackle mount. When I tried threading a 7/16 bolt into the threaded hole it seem like the thread pitch is off. I am using a 7/16, 20 pitch thread.

Does anyone know what size and thread this hole is???

Larry

GTNMUDY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2013, 04:52 PM   #2
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

If it's course.. it's 7/16"-14

Might try that.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2013, 05:02 PM   #3
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Yes, 7/16-14 coarse thread.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2013, 05:16 PM   #4
GTNMUDY
1984 CJ7 

Thanks guys, hope I didnt screw up the threads too bad trying to use the wrong bolt.

Larry
Unread 07-14-2013, 06:26 PM   #5
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Get a tap and chase the threads.

Unread 07-14-2013, 06:48 PM   #6
GTNMUDY
1984 CJ7 

I thought it was the same bolt that goes into the manual steering gearbox (bottom 2).

I counted the threads on the bolt and I have 12 per inch. So that makes it a 7/16 x 12 ?

I will try a 14 pitch tomorrow. I dont know if I will need to chase the threads I'll find out when I try it.

Larry
Unread 07-14-2013, 06:50 PM   #7
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

7/16-12 threads do not exist.

Trust me, it's 7/16-14 thread pitch.

Unread 07-14-2013, 09:17 PM   #8
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

Identical to the bolts holding the shackle hanger (the hole is actually there to mount the steering bracket in a right hand drive setup... think postal or export model).
Spieg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2013, 11:12 AM   #9
GTNMUDY
1984 CJ7 

Got it.

Your right it was a 7/16 x 14 bolt and that is what I was trying to get in there.

However, a 1" bolt will not thread all the way through the nut. I dont know if the nut was damaged when then welded it onto the frame. So I cut off 1/2 inch of the bolt and used that to secure the steering box bracket.

Worked slicker than STP.

Thanks for your help.

Larry
Unread 01-06-2014, 09:14 PM   #10
KultureCJ5

1976 CJ5 

Have any pics of your bracket you made? I just found out that my steering box bracket is cracked. Seem the HD upgrade at Morris 4x4 for 110. My buddy says he can make one beefier.
KultureCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2014, 09:40 PM   #11
GTNMUDY
1984 CJ7 

Well, I did not take any pics of it, but it was straight forward on the build.

I tossed around the idea of using T bar or square bar for the brace. Since I didnt have either on hand I used 1" black pipe for the brace. After a careful measure from bolt hole to bolt hole I heated up the ends and pounded them flat at 90 degrees apart. Once this was done I drilled a hole on both ends to mount to the frame and to the bracket clamp around the steering box.

For the steering box clamp I went to the hardware store and found some clamps used for wire fences gate posts.

They were just a little larger than the diameter of the steering box but with some heat and a hammer used on my OLD steering box I was able to form them around the steering box and made a good clamp. Drilled a hole on the back side of the formed clamps and after a paint job I installed them and they looked and worked great.

I might be able to get under the CJ and take a pic this week. If I do I will post it.

Just think about what I did and lay under the CJ and you will be able to figure it out easily.

Larry
Unread 01-06-2014, 09:51 PM   #12
KultureCJ5

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTNMUDY
Well, I did not take any pics of it, but it was straight forward on the build. I tossed around the idea of using T bar or square bar for the brace. Since I didnt have either on hand I used 1" black pipe for the brace. After a careful measure from bolt hole to bolt hole I heated up the ends and pounded them flat at 90 degrees apart. Once this was done I drilled a hole on both ends to mount to the frame and to the bracket clamp around the steering box. For the steering box clamp I went to the hardware store and found some clamps used for wire fences gate posts. They were just a little larger than the diameter of the steering box but with some heat and a hammer used on my OLD steering box I was able to form them around the steering box and made a good clamp. Drilled a hole on the back side of the formed clamps and after a paint job I installed them and they looked and worked great. I might be able to get under the CJ and take a pic this week. If I do I will post it. Just think about what I did and lay under the CJ and you will be able to figure it out easily. Larry
Thanks Larry. Appreciate the info.going to tackle this project tomorrow as this is my daily driver at the moment. This is what I found this morning. It's the front most bolt hole on the bracket.

KultureCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.