Steering box - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Steering box

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 11-21-2002, 11:48 AM   #1
twmattox

Steering box

I have an 84 CJ7 w/ power steering. The previous owner "adjusted" the box incorrectly (read broken). A friend gave me his manual steering box, pitman arm and shaft coupler (from a 77 CJ5) to bolt on while I rebuild my unit.

Does anyone know if this is an easy bolt on procedure? I am worried about the difference in years meaning that the pitman arm won't work with my setup, or that the box has different mounts. Any advice would be appreciated.

twmattox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2002, 12:33 PM   #2
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I think the box should physically bolt up to the frame. Not sure on the coupler to the steering shaft though and I believe the tie rod hole in the manual pitman arm is a different size (I could be wrong on that as I haven't messed with a manual box in a long time). Even if it is different, you could probably just pick up the correct tie rod end for it. Are you doing the rebuild yourself or are you sending it out? Because I know the saginaw boxes have a lot of intricate parts and torque specs and aren't usually a do-it-at-home type of rebuild. Might be a good time to pick up one of those AGR boxes

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2002, 01:32 PM   #3
twmattox

Honestly, I may end up keeping the "armstrong" manual box. There are a lot of things I would like to buy for the Jeep, and very limited funds.

I like the thought on the tie rod end. I think I will do this if it doesn't fit.

My friend thought that the mounting locations on the frame wouldn't line up. Any idea where I can find this out?
twmattox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2002, 01:58 PM   #4
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Mine had a manual box on it and the power box bolted right up so I don't think you'll have a problem doing the opposite. I saw a Power Steering setup on eBay (pump, bracket, and box). It was still under $200. You could also hunt down a steering box out of a GM "Big" car. I got my box off of an 85 wagon and it works real well.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2002, 04:25 PM   #5
55-willys

we put a camero box on a friends that came with manual. a 80s camero, firebird and full size chevys will bolt right in. the firebird and camero will give you quick ratio. thats what i have on my 55 and love it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.