Steering for 5" front stretch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Steering for 5" front stretch

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 06-05-2011, 10:46 PM   #1
garretj64
1982 CJ5 

Steering for 5" front stretch

I have moved my front axle forward 5" with some custom Alcan springs, and I am having some trouble figuring out how to set up my steering. I do not want to go full hydro since I will be driving this rig on the road fairly often. I don't think the astro van box will work since i am only 5" forward. Does anybody have any ideas for me? Thanks

Unread 06-06-2011, 08:39 AM   #2
adamsclarke

Astro box will work, but you could also sleeve the frame with DOM and move the stock box forward and extend the steering shaft. You could also mount a scout box outside the frame and use a wagoneer pitman arm, sleeving the frame of course.
adamsclarke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2011, 09:31 AM   #3
garretj64
1982 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsclarke View Post
Astro box will work, but you could also sleeve the frame with DOM and move the stock box forward and extend the steering shaft. You could also mount a scout box outside the frame and use a wagoneer pitman arm, sleeving the frame of course.
So an Astro box will work with only 5" of stretch? I thought you had to go 7 or more inches?
Unread 06-06-2011, 03:22 PM   #4
adamsclarke

Run your draglink to the top and use the front hole. It will be angled back, but will work fine. Grab a shorter YJ pitman arm or one that will work if you want to tuck it back more. I used a waggy arm on my scout box since the scout arm is like 14" long vs the 7-8" for the waggy arm.
Unread 06-06-2011, 03:30 PM   #5
garretj64
1982 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsclarke View Post
Run your draglink to the top and use the front hole. It will be angled back, but will work fine. Grab a shorter YJ pitman arm or one that will work if you want to tuck it back more. I used a waggy arm on my scout box since the scout arm is like 14" long vs the 7-8" for the waggy arm.
So you are suggesting I use a astro box with a shorter pitman arm, attach the drag link to a high steer arm on the passenger nuckle and then have the tie rod in the stock location? Do you have any pics of your set up?

Thanks!
Unread 06-06-2011, 08:24 PM   #6
adamsclarke

No pics of the astro set up, but if you are running a CJ dana 30 upfront, just ream the hole in the front from the top or drill it out and weld in a tapered insert. Use the front hole for the draglink, or convert to a Y swing style steering set up that the draglink bolts to the passenger side TRE.

Here's one of my old builds that usies a scout box on a waggy 44 SUA. Every one will be different, but I'd get the astro box since it'll bolt in and figure out which pitman arm from there.
Unread 06-06-2011, 10:01 PM   #7
garretj64
1982 CJ5 

Thanks Man I will have to pick up an astro box. I do like the scout box idea too. I am running a dana 44 with spring under as well.
Unread 06-06-2011, 10:47 PM   #8
garretj64
1982 CJ5 

If I wanted to use a Scout box what years should I be looking for?
Unread 06-07-2011, 06:00 AM   #9
adamsclarke

That was a 1980 scout box, but any scout 2 box will work...I think it was 76+
Your power steering lines will bolt up. If I recall, it was a 30 spline borgeson ujoint I used and some 3/4" or 1" DOM to sleeve to my stock steering shaft to the column. Then just use the extra 3/4" DOM to sleeve the frame and mount the box where you want it.
Unread 06-07-2011, 09:05 AM   #10
garretj64
1982 CJ5 

cool I might look into that. I am pretty sure the Scout box will clear my tire since I am at 65" wms wms, also I like the idea of a longer drag link. Did you have to hack up the grill or anything like that to make it work?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.