Stealth HEI ign, I've botched something - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Stealth HEI ign, I've botched something

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 09-03-2009, 10:15 PM   #1
Olrev
1981 CJ7 

Stealth HEI ign, I've botched something

Ok, trying to keep this on top as I discover things. Recently did the TeamRush, stealth hei (tested an it ran great), and grounded everything yesterday as JeepHammer detailed (did not crank or drive afterward). Today, I turned on the ignition to hear an electrical squeal (read my earlier post, i've got a video/audio clip) of constant power coming through the coil/coil wire. It would crank and run just fine, timing set at 8degrees. I took it down the road, went about 4miles, started losing power and backfired going up a hill. I geared down and over the hill the engine went dead with a loud backfire. I tried to crank it but the starter lagged bad, fighting itself...ok so I thought it was a timing issue so I left it alone. Luckily some friends with a car hauler pulled over and we took it home.

Several hours have passed and I've been racking my brain. I went down and it cranked just fine, ran for a few moments then bogged and died. I flipped my stealth box over and tested my ignition unit (not really knowing what I was doing, all I had was a test light). I cranked the engine and checked current with my test light. When I grounded the "W" post on the ignition module, the engine picked up and idled perfectly and revved flawlessly. When I "ungrounded" it, it went back to the sloppy "out of time" act. I'm gonna leave it alone tonight even though this is driving me crazy.

Why would this happen after I "dedicated-grounded" everything? Have I burned my module?

UPDATE: So it runs much better with the "W" post grounded...however, it will NOT crank with W grounded. Remove the ground, it will crank. Re-ground while running, runs better. And I didn't leave it alone tonight..

Last edited by Olrev; 09-03-2009 at 11:11 PM..
Olrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2009, 06:32 AM   #2
BigMac72
1986 CJ7 

I run the stealth HEI and the only problem I had was loose contacts at the module. It would run fine and then die or not fire up. I had to crimp the connectors on to the male spades from the module. That fixed it.
BigMac72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2009, 04:23 AM   #3
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

I think you might picking up noise to the ign module causing it to miss-fire.
Noise could also be coming through the power feed causing it to miss-fire. A condenser may be needed to control the situation.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.