Starting Point and seats? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Starting Point and seats?

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 08-31-2011, 01:18 PM   #1
WNC-84CJ7
1984 CJ7 

Starting Point and seats?

Post #1! I am no stranger to forums, but this is my first post here. There will be MANY more I'm sure. I have used the search tool, to unsatisfactory result, sooooo....

I am doing my first CJ restoration- and I am super psyched! My Dad is a big hot rodder, but I am somewhat of a late bloomer (I'm 35 now) and I was off doing "other things" while he did the car thing. I got hold of an 84 CJ7 with MOSTLY good parts. The frame is in awesome shape, as is the hood, dash, window frame, front fenders (one is a little weepy), and driveline. The motor is the 4cyl with the 4 spd man. I will probably swap that next year. The suspension is a little suspect, but I am going to redo all of that in the spring. The entire tub is SHOT!! I can see as much pavement as steel when I move my mats. I am picking up a 79 tub today that is SWEET and CHEAP!

My "Master Plan" is to drive it this winter as is while I resto the tub, the other parts piece by piece, and in the spring do a total frame off. However, as I am a total cherry, I have no idea what the heck I am doing. I am competent withe the metal work, the paint, and the "doo-dads", but when I crack open the hood- i almost pass out. I want to do most, if not all, of the work myself.

I am open to any and all suggestions, tips, and comments from those of you whom have done it before. I will save the seat question for another time. Thanks everybody! I will keep up as my schedule allows.

WNC-84CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2011, 01:37 PM   #2
scrapman
1984 CJ7 

Welcome to the forum! It's not a 4 cyl, but a great build thread is:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/da...-build-891652/

There are also many other great ones.

Enjoy
scrapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2011, 02:15 PM   #3
Dubyar
1983 CJ7 

Glad to see I'm not the only late bloomer lol. Got my jeep in november and been trolling the site since. Everyone here is super cool but between knowing all my immediate concerns have been covered a million times, and an irrational fear of being flamed for saying something completely idiotic, I have yet to post lol. Looks like we may grow up together brother
Dubyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2011, 03:17 PM   #4
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Welcome to the forum. There's allot of great information on here. I've found that after being on here a while I can count on someone to know the answer to whatever question any of us could pose.

Doing a frame off is allot of work! Not to say it's not worth it though. Take lots of pictures of everything you take off. A thread is a great way to document that too. One thing I'd highly recommend is to treat every part on your Jeep as if it's the last of it's kind and priceless. You can buy allot of replacement parts for the things but there are just some things the factory made that work better.

Oh and post pictures, we like that!

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2011, 08:45 AM   #5
WNC-84CJ7
1984 CJ7 

Thanks everybody! I will be doing a bunch of before pictures this weekend. I have a bunch to take because I am putting a bunch of stuff on ebay and/or craigslist this weekend. The hood is already prepped for paint. I did pickup that tub yesterday..... super nice. Nice link scrapman. I will be doing a truck or jeep for my daughter before long! Dub- don't worry about the potential flame- this is not like some of the other forums (sports mostly) I have been on. Jim- I will be re-using as many parts as possible because a.) posterity- old stuff has value to me (it's usually better anyway) and b.) I am super cheap! I would rather take the time to strip, sand, prep, prime, and paint my mirror assemblies than pay the 30 bucks for a new set.

Pictures soon. Thanks.
Unread 09-01-2011, 11:27 AM   #6
RjTack
1985 CJ7 

Dubyar, WNY-84CJ,
I doubt you'll get flamed on this site. Even if you do, you'll get many times more responses that are helpful. If you've been trolling, you should see that most questioned get an answer, even if it's been asked a million times before. Welcome and good luck.
RjTack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2011, 01:01 PM   #7
Dubyar
1983 CJ7 

I have trolled and know what advice I'll get on my immediate problems. They are the common problems that have been and answered over and over. So I'm not gonna be the guy to ask again but I'm auto illiterate I may as well be looking at an open body on an operating table for all I know of cars. Like the op I'm mechanically inclined (hvac/r by training but work as a maintenance mechanic in production facility). So I feel retarded not knowing anything. I know how it feels to constantly repeat yourself so I'm not asking (the answer by the way is check your grounds and use the search function which I do. As for the members I know everyone is way helpful and very nice, another reason not to bother y'all. Plus I'm stubborn as hell and just determined to figure this crap out lol
Unread 09-01-2011, 01:17 PM   #8
Dubyar
1983 CJ7 

WNC-84CJ by the way since your new I've only ever ran across one thread that got really heated and every now and then you'll see a reference to vex, It really is must read stuff if your bored check out the epic tales of vex. I dont know how to link to other threads but I'm sure someone will post up a link if you ask nicely
Unread 09-09-2011, 10:13 AM   #9
WNC-84CJ7
1984 CJ7 

All right lads, I know I promised pics last week. Life gets in the way sometimes. I have been working on the rig almost every night- so now I dont have any real good befores. I do have a few from the day I bought it, which brings me tomy next question. I have photos here on the laptop I want to post- how the heck do I put them on?

~Vandy
Unread 09-09-2011, 10:58 AM   #10
jpd1899
1978 CJ7 

Welcome to the forum.

If you are having a hard time finding some information after you have searched, one of the tricks I learned on this site is to ask for a to a post. I ask a lot of beginner questions as and can't find the posts in the search sometimes.

Other advice, get a copy of a haynes or chilton manual and book mark this link-post 17. It's the FSM.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/84...27/index2.html

You have to have a certain number of posts before you can post a picture. I am not sure how many post you have to have but it's not that many.
jpd1899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2011, 03:43 PM   #11
WNC-84CJ7
1984 CJ7 

Sweet link! Thanks! Now I have tofind a bunch of meaningful stuff to say to pad the post count! I needed that manual, I really appreciate it.

~Vandy
Unread 09-13-2011, 01:12 PM   #12
WNC-84CJ7
1984 CJ7 

Alright-

I have been stripping the tub I have down to bare metal. I have encountered some bondo spots- nothing too scary- I still think the 300 I paid for the tub was well worth it. However, I am beginning to notice some subtle differences in my running CJ tub ( a confirmed 1984 Renegade CJ7) and the tub sitting on it's side in the garage. Those more aquainted with the details of Jeeps and their years may be able to help (I hope).

The new tub has a different screw pattern on the intake of the from cowl right in front of the windshield.

The new tub does not have the trim type pattern on the windshield "pillar" where the hinges mount (kinda like a detailing ring- hard to describe)

The new tub's radio antenna seems to be placed in this area as opposed to above the stamped jeep logo.

I am guessing I have a much earlier year tub than I thought. I was told it was from a '79. I am having trouble finding any pics to confirm any of this. Do I have an aftermarket tub. It's OK with me if I do- it is in very good shape. What it is replacing is ABSOLUTELY cancer ridden.

Any info would be great! After reading so many of your builds I feel like I know a bunch of you! Looking forward to the official start of the "build thread" and posting some pics.

Thanks guys.
Unread 09-13-2011, 01:38 PM   #13
WNC-84CJ7
1984 CJ7 

By the way..

I know the tranfercase is a DANA 300 because if the giant DANA 300 on it. How can I tell what front and rear I have?
Unread 09-13-2011, 07:10 PM   #14
WNC-84CJ7
1984 CJ7 

This is a bit of a cheater bump, but I need the help.

Was there only one type of manual transmission mated to the 4 cyl? I hope to swap for a 258 late next year (currently hunting one), and was wondering if I would have to do a tranny swap too.

-You guys that know.....how you find this stuff out???
Unread 09-15-2011, 05:53 AM   #15
WNC-84CJ7
1984 CJ7 

I forgot to mention

The 84 tub has the pillar by the back of the door that the strikers are located on, but the mystery tub does not. instead it has two gussets that stretch from the fender well to the tub body skin. Anybody with answers gets the of the day.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.