Starting my Scout Dana 44 front axle swap - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Starting my Scout Dana 44 front axle swap

ExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire CarrIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 02-25-2013, 04:34 PM   #31
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Honestly, this swap doesn't seem worth the effort, to me.

Perhaps this thread makes it seem more difficult than it is, dunno.

Matt

Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2013, 06:18 PM   #32
aufan
1986 CJ7 

Matt,

The swap really isn't that hard at all. I have very little mechanic experience. The extent of my mechanic skills include changing fluids, changing belts and brake pads and that's about it. I had a friend help me remove the hubs and show me all the importance of each component. Grinding off the c's wasn't hard just a bit time consuming. By rotating the c's, setting pinion angle and spring perches it allows you to really set the axle up correctly to what size lift your running. Nothing is as simple as slapping a lift on and expecting to drive straight down the road.
aufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 03:06 PM   #33
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufan View Post
This weekend I will begin the process of swapping out my new dana 44 out of a scout. I will be shortening to WT width and using my dana 30 outers. I have done alot of research and have a complete grasp on removing C's, cutting axle, setting pinion angle, caster angle, and relocating/grinding down perches. My first task is to remove the outer nuckles/remove shafts/ring and pinion for a tedious inspection and cleaning. The only thing i am struggling on is getting started rremoving the scout outers. i have seen a few brief write ups and/or pictorials otherwise I will be shooting from the hip. Any help or guidance from those that have done this swap would be great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRubiconrich View Post
grind the weld off very slowly.You say you are cutting one side to CJ7 WT
I cut 3 5/8's off one side. if you cut that side first just grind off weld and then just cut the tube left inside a few times and knock out. Throw the other side on a grill or in the fire and knock it off too.
Wide track? Wet tiger? Wobbly taco? Wonton? Windy tornado? ???

2006 LJ SOLD!
Necromancer_tat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 09:37 PM   #34
CSP

Welcome to the CJ world where we all take it for granted that WT means wide track, especially when the subject is axle width.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 10:41 PM   #35
spottedfrog
1979 CJ5 

Quick questions.
You can cut the long side of a Scout 2 D44 and arrive at CJ WT?

This allows for the spring perches to be under the CJ frame in the "factory" location?

Am I wrong in thinking that shortening the long side of a wagoner gives the same results, or is the cut waggy wider?
spottedfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 03:02 AM   #36
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
Welcome to the CJ world where we all take it for granted that WT means wide track, especially when the subject is axle width.
Thanks! Whats the standard width on a CJ and whats the Wide Track width? I guess I'll be hitting the search button up later today.

2006 LJ SOLD!
Unread 06-13-2013, 07:31 AM   #37
CSP

CJ narrow track is '81 and earlier and any CJ5 through '83 (last year of the CJ5). Front is around 54" and the rear is around 50.5"

CJ wide track is '82 and newer CJ7 and CJ8. Front width is around 56.5" and the rear is around 53.5".
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 10:27 AM   #38
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
CJ narrow track is '81 and earlier and any CJ5 through '83 (last year of the CJ5). Front is around 54" and the rear is around 50.5"

CJ wide track is '82 and newer CJ7 and CJ8. Front width is around 56.5" and the rear is around 53.5".
Thanks!

2006 LJ SOLD!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.