Starting to Begin - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Starting to Begin

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 04-06-2013, 07:18 AM   #121
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

To achieve my desired frame finish I ended up stripping my frame 3 times. 3 freakin' times of painstaking stripping, blasting, priming, painting, etc, and in the end you can't see it anyway! So just a heads-up for you. Your work looks very, very good. You don't HAVE to redo your frame, unless, you know, you HAVE to! You and your son will be the only people on this planet who will know it is not the finish you were wanting (and of course, ALL of us!).

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2013, 04:37 PM   #122
S76
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
To achieve my desired frame finish I ended up stripping my frame 3 times. 3 freakin' times of painstaking stripping, blasting, priming, painting, etc, and in the end you can't see it anyway! So just a heads-up for you. Your work looks very, very good. You don't HAVE to redo your frame, unless, you know, you HAVE to! You and your son will be the only people on this planet who will know it is not the finish you were wanting (and of course, ALL of us!).
3 times? Yikes! What was wrong about it?

And you hit the nail on the head. When this is done it will be so nice I won't want it to get dirty so I'll sell it because it won't be any fun keeping it that way. Please reference page 2 post # 25. And NOBODY here will want it because you all know the truth. I can't bear the shame.
Unread 04-06-2013, 04:50 PM   #123
S76
1984 CJ7 

Sanded on the frame a couple of mornings this week. Too many interuptions the rest of the week. That polyurethane paint laughs at 220 grit. Pretty tough paint. Takes forever to make progress.

It's about half done. The store mixed me up another quart. I tested it. Not gonna fool me twice. This batch is TOTALLY FLAT! Grrrrrr! What is there about the concept of satin that is so hard to grasp?

Well, I have half a quart of shinny and one quart of flat. Maybe I can find the right balance. I'll be sure to sample before painting.

Now I know why most use gloss black.
Unread 04-07-2013, 07:13 PM   #124
pritchaj2000
1972 CJ5 

I'm no paint expert. But what presure are you running in your gun? Some of the paints I've used have a very different surface depending on presure.

Build thread: http://www.earlycj5.net/forums/showthread.php?78780-1972-CJ-5-Almost-Restoration
pritchaj2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 08:13 PM   #125
S76
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pritchaj2000 View Post
I'm no paint expert. But what presure are you running in your gun? Some of the paints I've used have a very different surface depending on presure.
That is a good question. I hadn't thought much about that. The gun has a pressure regulator on it and I set it in the "Green" band. But I never looked to see exactly what it was. 30ish I think but I'm guessing.

But that brings to mind something else. I have a very old very dirty compressor with a fair amount of moisture and oil in the lines. I don't have a moisture trap or wall regulator or anything. Straight off the compressor with the exception of the regulator on the gun. So everythime I have painted I used these:

And change them often. Never had any fish-eye problems or anything related to bad air.
Unread 04-08-2013, 02:21 AM   #126
rplivin
1985 CJ7 

Why not just shoot over it with a satin clear since you sprayed it with a urethane paint. Also you might want to try a different paint shop. Most any will do sample colors for you and all paint companies have some sort of satin or flat finish. Too many coats of paint will make the adhesion more unstable so I would make sure they got it right. Regulator on gun and filter will work just fine. Build is coming along nice.
rplivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2013, 07:43 AM   #127
S76
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rplivin View Post
Why not just shoot over it with a satin clear since you sprayed it with a urethane paint. Also you might want to try a different paint shop. Most any will do sample colors for you and all paint companies have some sort of satin or flat finish. Too many coats of paint will make the adhesion more unstable so I would make sure they got it right. Regulator on gun and filter will work just fine. Build is coming along nice.
Thanks rplivin. Today I started custom mixing my shinney and flat paint so see if I can hit the happy place. Thing is you have to let a drop of it dry before you know what you have. That's OK though. Took the week off to do yard work, for myself and relatives, so I'll have plenty of time for experiments. The nearby shop sells PPG paint and that's a pretty good brand. The next closest shop is 30 minutes away.
Unread 04-12-2013, 01:45 PM   #128
S76
1984 CJ7 

Took the week off and didn't get a thing done to the Jeep. But I did get all my yard work and the relatives yard work done so that's good.

I did get a boat-load of parts in.

OME 2.5" lift YJ springs. All four are heavy duty rears. 5 leaf.

Rocky Road Shackle Hangers front and rear. These look great. Super heavy duty, greasable, and they give another 1/2" of lift. YJ boomerang shackles for the front, I don't know why exactly. Rocky Road suggest 4" shackles for the front and 3" for the rear with these springs to level the ride. And a pair of shocks for the front. The rears are on back order.

Ubolts....

A bag of bushings and non greasable spring bolts. All the greasable kits are so expensive, I don't see why I can't drill these and put fittings in them.

And some extended brake lines. Does anyone know what that bracket is for in the front brake lines?What does it bolt to--or around? Or is that for a different installation?

Mayor problem with the front brake lines. On the front lines one is cad plated yellow and the other is zinc plated silver. THEY DON'T MATCH!!!! They are going back!

And a Humma Power Steering box from O-Reiley's.

I'm definitely better at buying parts than getting work done. Now I need to finish sanding and painting that frame so this job can move forward.

I wonder if the UPS guy has any idea he will deliver a complete Jeep in parts before the year is over?

Unread 04-12-2013, 03:31 PM   #129
RamblingCJ
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by S76

A bag of bushings and non greasable spring bolts. All the greasable kits are so expensive, I don't see why I can't drill these and put fittings in them.

And some extended brake lines. Does anyone know what that bracket is for in the front brake lines?What does it bolt to--or around? Or is that for a different installation?

I hear ya on the greasable bolts. I just replaced all of my spring bolts with the ones from Warrior Products. Not cheap. I thought the same thing, but lack the tools necessary.

Here's also pic of my front brake lines. Looks like they may be an aftermarket version perhaps?
image-3687089609.jpg  
RamblingCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2013, 05:36 PM   #130
S76
1984 CJ7 

Thanks for the pic Ramblin.

One end of my front brake line is like yours. The other end with the steel line goes to the caliper. That looks OK. But do you have that big metal bracket thing in the middle of your line? What does it attach to?
Unread 04-13-2013, 01:37 PM   #131
RamblingCJ
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by S76
Thanks for the pic Ramblin.

One end of my front brake line is like yours. The other end with the steel line goes to the caliper. That looks OK. But do you have that big metal bracket thing in the middle of your line? What does it attach to?
Nope. The only bracket that I have on the front lines is where it comes off/out of the frame.
RamblingCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2013, 02:01 PM   #132
S76
1984 CJ7 

Here goes nothing! I've been experimenting with the paint all week, trying to get the sheen I wanted by mixing some of the to shiney paint with the to flat paint. To shiney, to shiney, to shiney, TO FLAT!

Well maybe it will be different with the hardener added, maybe it will be different with the temps in the garage, maybe it will be different with a different spray pressure. Enough is enough. I'm painting today and whatever it is, it is.

I'll learn to like it..................despite the social embarrassment.

However, the last time I painted it was cold out so I didn't use any ventilation. It got pretty foggy in the garage and I can deal with that, but I got chewed out big time because the mud room attaching the house to the garage had a layer of black dust (shiney...black...dust) on everything. Another

So today I had "Red Green" stop by to help me hook up some proper ventilation.

So the first coat went on, and of course it is shiney cuz it's wet. And the suspence of waiting for it to dry is torture because it is less than ideal painting temps. So I sit here waiting for it to tack before I can put the second coat on.

Suspence is killing me!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Unread 04-13-2013, 06:55 PM   #133
S76
1984 CJ7 

Does anyone remember "Red Green?"

Red Green – Porcelain Carburetor

http://bitsandpieces.us/2012/03/28/r...in-carburetor/
Unread 04-13-2013, 07:27 PM   #134
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

I like Red, the toilet carb is the next step up from the leaf blower turbo.

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2013, 07:12 PM   #135
ironmike1700

Can't wait to see end result. How did the color turn out???
Mike
ironmike1700 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.