Starting to Begin - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Starting to Begin

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 03-26-2013, 05:05 PM   #106
dechlin
1980 CJ7 

3.54 front and rear dana 30 and amc 20 widetrack its a t5 with d300 transfer case i Have no idea what condition what condition anything is You want anything?

dechlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2013, 07:28 PM   #107
S76
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechlin View Post
3.54 front and rear dana 30 and amc 20 widetrack its a t5 with d300 transfer case i Have no idea what condition what condition anything is You want anything?
Rats, I spent a ton of money buying everything to convert my 30 and 20 to 3:54's. Those would make nice spares though. Let's see what happens as your build progresses and your sure you don't need them.

Thanks
Unread 03-26-2013, 07:39 PM   #108
dechlin
1980 CJ7 

I still have my originals. Plus I was playing around with the idea of upgrading. I figured if I was gonna do this whole thing I was only gonna do it once. And I really want a 5.3 for an engine
dechlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2013, 09:31 PM   #109
S76
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechlin View Post
I still have my originals. Plus I was playing around with the idea of upgrading. I figured if I was gonna do this whole thing I was only gonna do it once. And I really want a 5.3 for an engine
PM sent
Unread 03-28-2013, 10:12 AM   #110
S76
1984 CJ7 

Making some progress this week.

My main concern was rust forming between the frame doublers. So I used a sealer and sealed the bottom and sides of each plate. Then injected oil along the top seam, over and over again, letting it soak in. After cleaning up the oil mess I sealed the top side.

Now if the weather holds I can sandblast tomorrow and paint Saturday. Very happy to get to this point.

Unread 03-29-2013, 03:46 PM   #111
S76
1984 CJ7 

It turned out to be a really nice day today, so no excuses not to get the frame sandblasted.

I tied it's legs together and pulled it out of the garage ,rotisserie and all. The rotisserie is the best thing. Well worth the effort to build in how easy it is to work on the frame.

My compressor huffed and puffed all day. I had to wait a lot for it to catch up. But in the end the frame got done. Took another 2 hours to clean up the mess in the dirveway and I pulled it back into the garage by hand. UGH!

A sand blast place wanted $250 to do the frame and I did it for $35 worth of sand. 3 100 lb. bags. And probably $20 worth of electricity. LOL

Anyways, super happy that is done and it came out OK. My truss sealant lifted only in a couple little spots. Not bad.

Tomorrow I go get the primer. Epoxy primer or self etching primer? I cannot get a staight answer on this. Everyone has a different opinion.

Any ideas?????????
Unread 03-29-2013, 04:32 PM   #112
tp355z

Looking good! So what was the issue with the Detroit Truetrac? You bought axles and they say not to use them with one?

I had a truetrac in the Moser 12 bolt in the orange Camaro - it's not a clutch posi like most, but it's also not a locker. It uses transverse screw gears so when you're on the gas it basically locks, but under part throttle (or no throttle coasting) it acts like an open diff. At least that's what I remember.

I loved it - best of both worlds. They're a lot more expensive than a normal posi though. $450 for the 8.8" Ford in the Mustang versus $250 for a Ford traction-lok.

Can't wait to see the parts in person Sunday. You've done more in 2 months than I've done all winter...
tp355z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2013, 05:03 PM   #113
S76
1984 CJ7 

^^^^^^

I did some research and found out the "Power Lock" is an aftermarket posi unit built by Precision Gear that use clutches like a regular posi. That is the only unit these axles will not fit in.

I plan to use the Detroit Tru Trac so no worries. I didn't know you had one of them in the Camero. Stupid thing is $500. Don't tell your mother.........
Unread 03-30-2013, 06:06 PM   #114
S76
1984 CJ7 

Kind of a disapointing day today. Got the frame all cleaned and preped for paint. I used an Epoxy primer. When it dried it had the exact finish I wanted. More on the dull side like factory original. But the paint guy recomended I top coat it. with urethane. Said he would make it a semigloss like the primer. So I did all that and it looks like High Gloss black. Exactly what I didn't want. It may flatten some as it dries but I doubt it will be what I want. On the brighter side, if a gloss finish is what you wanted, it looks great.

Too disgusted to take pictures.

I'l have to recoat it tomorrow.
Unread 03-30-2013, 06:16 PM   #115
stamp32
1983 CJ7 

What sandblasted did you use for the frame?

Chris
stamp32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2013, 09:35 PM   #116
S76
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamp32 View Post
What sandblasted did you use for the frame?

Chris
I had one of these:

And I bought some silica sand from a sandblasting place. I used about 300#, 3 bags. It was slow going because my compressor doesn't have good output but I got it done in about 4 hours. Clean up another 2 hours. Made a mess in the driveway.
Unread 03-30-2013, 09:48 PM   #117
S76
1984 CJ7 

This morning before I started on the paint I noticed this:

And this:

These marks are from some of the oil That I had injected between the frame and the doublers. That is why I like to use the oil for a preservative. It wickes and gets into places you didn't even spray it on. Paint only goes where you put it. Had to clean that up before spraying.

So I went back to the garage to see what I dreaded:

A perfect GLOSS BLACK frame. UGH!

Unread 03-31-2013, 12:57 AM   #118
JeffreyCharles
1976 CJ5 

I know it's all a matter of personal preference, etc., etc. But I think the frame looks great as-is! Just what mine looks like. I love crawling under mine and finding things still somewhat shiny after a good 15 years since it was rebuilt. No matter, yours will also look excellent once you get it just the way you want - and what's the point if you can't get it just the way *you* want?
Unread 03-31-2013, 06:26 AM   #119
S76
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyCharles View Post
I know it's all a matter of personal preference, etc., etc. But I think the frame looks great as-is! Just what mine looks like. I love crawling under mine and finding things still somewhat shiny after a good 15 years since it was rebuilt. No matter, yours will also look excellent once you get it just the way you want - and what's the point if you can't get it just the way *you* want?

Thanks. Your right about that. That is one of best parts of these restorations. We get to pick and choose what we want. Kind of a mechanical artistic expression.

I called the paint store this morning to get another quart of primer to top coat it. They are CLOSED! Guess that gives me till Monday morning to calm down and/or change my mind and leave it that way.

It looks fine the way it is, just not what I had in mind.

Your frame was done 15 years ago and it still looks good? That's great. What type of primer/paint did you use? Epoxy and Urethane?

Bob
Unread 04-01-2013, 08:01 AM   #120
S76
1984 CJ7 

Well I had a day to think this shinney paint delima over. I found a new brake pad from the rear disc conversion parts that had the correct sheen on it and took it to the paint store. So they are going to modify the formula and get what I want.

Thanks Frank.

But in the mean time.......................................

We sand it all down.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.