Starting to Begin - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Starting to Begin

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 03-17-2013, 11:05 AM   #91
S76
1984 CJ7 

I don't know why but I have spent more time researching tires and wheels than anything else. It's just more fun I guess.

Using 15 inch wheels has it's limitations with tire selection. But if I go with 16x8 inch wheels like this:

I can use these Cooper Discoverer tires, which are 32.5" tall, Section width is 12.2" and the tread is 9.7" (305/70R-16)

I have these on my F350. They last forever, and plow snow great. The concern I have putting them on the Jeep is they are a Load Rating E with a max load of 3,500 lbs. each. That is a heavy duty tire!

Will it be too stiff! I supect they will work on the Jeep with no air in them at all. LOL

Does anyone have any experience using these HD tires or something similar?

Thanks for your input.

Bob

Unread 03-23-2013, 04:51 PM   #92
S76
1984 CJ7 

No progress on the tires. I have changed my mind 3 more times this week. Although seeing this add has me just about there.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jeep-...www.google.com

I can't tell from looking if those are 8 or 10 inch rims though. Does anyone know?

Aside from that it was back in the garage today. I finished up the frame plates:

Cut of the rusty and bent rear crossmember and inspected the end of the frame. It was all pretty good except for the last 2 inches on one side.

Well I can't let that one go so more doublers. I need to find something that matches the radius to bend a piece of metal. Maybe an axle???

Naw. Here we go, a couple of bumper brackets........

Bent some 1/8 around the brackets in the vice by heating the metal. It didn't even come close to fitting. So another half hour of pounding shaping and twisting and they finally fit pretty good. I think they are an inch longer than when I started from all the beating.

I did remember to drill some holes for the oil to run through.

And finally got them welded in.

Also tacked the two nut serts that were spinning in the frame. I think I missed them more than I welded them. I was afraid to get too close and distort the threads.

Not bad. I have one body mount hole to fix and I guess I'll fabricate a rear crossmember. The factory one is too thin in my opinion. Then it's off to the sandblaster.

Can't wait to get this phase done!
Unread 03-23-2013, 05:12 PM   #93
CJ7ROB
1986 CJ7 

Those rims your looking at look like 10s. I have the same ones on my Jeep & truck.

CJ7ROB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2013, 08:54 PM   #94
S76
1984 CJ7 

Thanks for the pics Rob. Couple questions:

Are those 33x12.50's?

Are the rims 3.75 backspacing?

What brand of tires are they? I like that big dounut look. Do you like the brand? (Yes, I realize this will be the 4th change of mind on tires this week.)

Looks like they stick out beyond the flares. Is that a problem? Do they throw water in the air when you drive in the rain?

Thanks

Bob

Last edited by S76; 03-23-2013 at 08:57 PM.. Reason: add question
S76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2013, 09:32 PM   #95
S76
1984 CJ7 

Got more stuff in the mail this week.

The Master rebuild kit for the Dana 30 from "Trails West" Timken Bearings.

The Master rebuild kit for the Model 20 from "Standard Gear" Koyo Bearings.

And I bought the one piece axles from Crown. Yeah, I know some may be skeptical but I bought some other stuff from Crown and it looked pretty good. These came with Timken bearings.

But!!! I'm confused. The first thing in their instructions says don't use this kit if you have a PowerLock differential. Well, I was going to install a Detroit Trutrac differential. Which is made to replace an open diff, right. So can I consider that the Trutrac will be like an open diff.?

ARRRRGGGGG!

Does anyone have an idea on this?

Thanks

Bob
Unread 03-24-2013, 06:47 AM   #96
CJ7ROB
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by S76 View Post
Thanks for the pics Rob. Couple questions:

Are those 33x12.50's?

Are the rims 3.75 backspacing?

What brand of tires are they? I like that big dounut look. Do you like the brand? (Yes, I realize this will be the 4th change of mind on tires this week.)

Looks like they stick out beyond the flares. Is that a problem? Do they throw water in the air when you drive in the rain?

Thanks

Bob
They are 35x12.5x15 General Grabber AP..I don't think they make tgem anymore. They were quiet on the road. Ok offroad..not great. Stuck out passed flares..flung water all over.
CJ7ROB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2013, 11:27 AM   #97
S76
1984 CJ7 

"flung water all over"

Thanks. That's what I was afraid of. I plan to drive this Jeep all winter and don't want a salt bath every time I take it out. At least not on the top. The bottom is bad enough.

Another change to the wheel plan..............
Unread 03-25-2013, 09:23 PM   #98
S76
1984 CJ7 

Brown Santa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Today I got my JB Fab Twin Stick. Very nicely made. All stainless. Cool.

Just today I have come to the conclusion that I am way better at buying stuff than I am at installing stuff. But hey, you've got to start somewhere.

I called to have the frame sandbslated today and the guy wanted $250. That seems like alot. Then the tub will need to be done and that will be even more. So I think I am just going to get a second air compressor and gang the two together to I can sandblast it myself. Harbor freight has one for $600 (error, it's $800) with excellent reviews. 15 CFPM with a 60 gallon tank. Plus I have a smaller one with a 75 gallon water tank plumbed in. That should do it. I'll need it eventually because the one I have now is really tired and I suspect this Jeep will do it in.

Last edited by S76; 03-28-2013 at 08:16 AM.. Reason: error
S76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2013, 09:31 PM   #99
dechlin
1980 CJ7 

Where did you call to get it sandblasted? i checked with a place in Naugatuck and they wanted 350 for the frame
dechlin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2013, 09:50 PM   #100
S76
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechlin View Post
Where did you call to get it sandblasted? i checked with a place in Naugatuck and they wanted 350 for the frame
A place called "Joe's Garage" in Enfield CT. Really nice guy.

http://www.yellowpages.com/enfield-c...3?lid=24819233

He will paint it too if you want.
Unread 03-25-2013, 09:56 PM   #101
dechlin
1980 CJ7 

I wish i was that far along. Ive been collecting parts still. I just my new heavy duty crossmember, now either i need to fix 2 body mounts or replace them. Also im looking for a good welder
Unread 03-25-2013, 10:10 PM   #102
S76
1984 CJ7 

And now for this week's installment of "As the tires turn"

After talking to Rob I think I need to keep the tires mostly under the flares. I will run the stock fender flares as I like them the best. But in order to do that I think I need to use a 16x8 rim with one of these tires in 285/75R 16. That equals about 33x11.50-16.

And here are the candidates, chosen for the 11.50 size, and the load range of "C" or "D" rather than the "E"'s which will be way to stiff. And the smaller load range means they weigh less than the higher load rating tires.

Open Country (Not so Much)

Nitto Grappler (Maybe)

Mickey Thompson ATZ (Kinda like these)

Pro Cop Extremes ( I like the agresiveness)

So that's as close as I can get for now. These will be 95% Street use with light trail riding. I really like the looks of the BFG Mud but they don't have water sipes and probably won't be as good on the road. The Extreme seems a good compromise.

If anyone has anything good/bad to say about any of these tires please speak up.
Unread 03-25-2013, 10:14 PM   #103
S76
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
I wish i was that far along. Ive been collecting parts still. I just my new heavy duty crossmember, now either i need to fix 2 body mounts or replace them. Also im looking for a good welder
I have another frame that I thought I could cut sections out of to use on the better one but that plan was not well thought out and it doesn't work. You can have the frame and use the mounts off it, or whatever. What mounts do you need, I'll check to see if they are good.

Unread 03-25-2013, 10:22 PM   #104
dechlin
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by S76 View Post
I have another frame that I thought I could cut sections out of to use on the better one but that plan was not well thought out and it doesn't work. You can have the frame and use the mounts off it, or whatever. What mounts do you need, I'll check to see if they are good.

The two rear ones just in front of the rear tires. This is the frame i bought
http://newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/3629709930.html So i have the extra axles trans and transfer case. I paid him 400 for it IM looking for a welder now so ill prob just fix them
Unread 03-26-2013, 04:56 PM   #105
S76
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
The two rear ones just in front of the rear tires. This is the frame i bought
http://newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/3629709930.html So i have the extra axles trans and transfer case. I paid him 400 for it IM looking for a welder now so ill prob just fix them
Wow what a great parts supply, and at a decent price.

What axles and ratios do you have?

What trans?

Let me know if want to get rid of any stuff you don't need. Should be able to get your purchase price back easy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.